Find spin only magnetic moment of [Fe(H2O)5NO](2+)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 7K views
Titan97
Gold Member
Messages
450
Reaction score
18

Homework Statement


Find spin only magnetic moment of ##[Fe(H2O)5NO]^{2+}##

Homework Equations


None

The Attempt at a Solution


When I used Google, the magnetic moment in 3.87
##Fe## is in +1 oxidation state. So configuration is $$[Ar]3d^64s^1$$
There are 5 unpaired electrons. How does magnetic moment become 3.87?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
the configuration readjusts to 3d7. And there are more problems: Fe is said to be in +3 and NO is in -1. Look it up in Google.
 
If that's the case, then there are 5 unpaired electrons. Magnetic moment won't be 3.87
 
Yeah, I know. And it is a problem for me too, for my textbook says that it is Fe+ and NO+. But apparently that is 15 year old data. I'm not sure which one to follow, and as of now, I have no time to follow my research on the net up. I will look it up again and get back.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Titan97