Spin confusion: Stern-Gerlach experiment

In summary: The ##\mathbf k## component gives you the differential equation$$\dot{\mu}_z = -C \mu_y$$which looks like a negatively charged particle with charge ##-C## in an inhomogeneous magnetic field ##B\mathbf i##. This is exactly the equation of motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field. If you know that this particle moves in a circle, it's just a small step to conclude that the dipole precesses around the magnetic field.b) But was it not the case that the magnetic moments were found to be either parallel or anti-parallel (and no in-betweens)? Does this not mean
WWCY
I have some serious issues trying to understand the idea of the spin in the context of the Stern-Gerlach experiment and would appreciate some assistance!

Assuming that a homogenous magnetic field ##B## in the "North-wards" ##z##-direction, assume that there is a magnetic dipole moment ##\mu## pointing ##3\pi /4## away from the "North" (i.e. South-East).

My text states that there will be a torque that comes in the form of
$$\vec{\tau} = \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}$$
which aligns the moment to the B-field, according to the right-hand rule.

It later states: "But the intrinsic angular momentum, the spin, of the atom is proportional to ##\vec{\mu}##, and the rate change of angular momentum is just the torque, we have
$$\frac{d \vec{\mu}}{dt} \propto \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}$$
which is to say the dipole moment precesses about ##\vec{B}##"

It then goes on to say that the potential energy ## E = - \vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B} ## doesn't change, which means that the angle between ##\vec{\mu}## and ##\vec{B}## doesn't as well.

My questions are:

1) Applying the right-hand rule to ##\frac{d \vec{\mu}}{dt}## (for this example), I get a vector pointing out of this page, is this the direction in which the magnetic moment precesses?

2) It was stated that a magnetic moment in a ##\vec{B}## field experiences a torque aligning the moment to the magnetic field, yet ##E = - \vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}## was stated to be constant. Is this statement not contadictory? One states that the angle between ##\mu## and ##B## changes, while the other states that they stay constant.

The text later states that the magnetic moments are only measured to be either parallel or antiparallel to a given magnetic field. Which seems to throw the idea of precession out of the window and further adds to my confusion.

I must note that this is my first encounter with spins, so explanations that aren't too technical are greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
WWCY said:
1) Applying the right-hand rule to ##\frac{d \vec{\mu}}{dt}## (for this example), I get a vector pointing out of this page, is this the direction in which the magnetic moment precesses?
The magnetic moment precesses around ##\vec{B}##.

WWCY said:
2) It was stated that a magnetic moment in a ##\vec{B}## field experiences a torque aligning the moment to the magnetic field, yet ##E = - \vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{B}## was stated to be constant. Is this statement not contadictory? One states that the angle between ##\mu## and ##B## changes, while the other states that they stay constant.
The first statement is classical, the second quantum mechanical. In QM, if the field is static, then the Hamiltonian is independent of time, so energy is conserved, as is the projection along ##\vec{B}##.

WWCY said:
The text later states that the magnetic moments are only measured to be either parallel or antiparallel to a given magnetic field. Which seems to throw the idea of precession out of the window and further adds to my confusion.
As I stated above, the precession is around ##\vec{B}##, so it takes place in the plane perpendicular to ##\vec{B}##. If you take the field to be aligned along z, that means that the probability of measuring spin-up or spin-down in z is constant, but not the probability of measuring spin-up or spin-down with respect to the x or y axes.

Thank you for your response, however I'm afraid I don't quite follow,

a) How does this statement
WWCY said:
But the intrinsic angular momentum, the spin, of the atom is proportional to ##\vec{\mu}##, and the rate change of angular momentum is just the torque, we have
lead to this
WWCY said:
##\frac{d \vec{\mu}}{dt} \propto \vec{\mu} \times \vec{B}##
and how does this expression lead to a conclusion about the precession of ##\vec{\mu}##?

b)
DrClaude said:
As I stated above, the precession is around ##\vec{B}##, so it takes place in the plane perpendicular to ##\vec{B}##. If you take the field to be aligned along z, that means that the probability of measuring spin-up or spin-down in z is constant, but not the probability of measuring spin-up or spin-down with respect to the x or y axes.

But was it not the case that the magnetic moments were found to be either parallel or anti-parallel (and no in-betweens)? Does this not mean that there wasn't any precession, since this would mean that the atoms should end up spread out on the screen, since they would experience a variety of magnitudes of force?

c)
DrClaude said:
The first statement is classical, the second quantum mechanical. In QM, if the field is static, then the Hamiltonian is independent of time, so energy is conserved, as is the projection along ##\vec{B}##.

My text seems to imply that the conserved projection on ##\vec{B}## was a classical statement, since it predicts that atoms land on the screen in all sorts of directions. It states "Rather, we have to accept that the classical prediction of a spread-out beam is inconsistent with experimental observation". What am I missing?

d) I'm getting the impression that if ##\vec{\mu}## points up, then the atom is also spin-up. However after trawling the internet for some equation relating the two, I find
$$\vec{\mu _s} = -\frac{e}{2m_e} g \ \vec{S}$$
which seems to suggest that a magnetic moment pointing up is actually spin-down. Again, I can't seem make sense of this.Attached below are the pages of the text I've been referencing. Also, apologies if my line of questioning is confused as I am too. Thank you for your patience.

page12.jpg
page13.jpg
page14.jpg

Attachments

• page12.jpg
    page12.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 368
  • page13.jpg
    page13.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 369
  • page14.jpg
    page14.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 375
WWCY said:
how does this expression lead to a conclusion about the precession of ⃗μ\vec{\mu}?
The rate of change of angular momentum is equal to the torque, that's what you get in classical mechanics. It's just the rotational analog of the rate of change of momentum being equal to force.
Assume your homogenous magnetic field points in positive z direction, ##\mathbf B = B\mathbf k## and the dipole moment ##\mathbf \mu = \mu_x \mathbf i + \mu_y \mathbf j + \mu_z \mathbf k##, then
$$
\mathbf \mu \times \mathbf B = \mathbf i B \mu_y - \mathbf j B \mu_x
$$
Putting this into the equation of motion of the dipole
$$
\frac{d\mathbf \mu}{dt} = C(\mathbf \mu \times \mathbf B) \\
\dot{\mu}_x \mathbf i + \dot{\mu}_y \mathbf j + \dot{\mu}_z \mathbf k = \mathbf i C \mu_y - \mathbf j C \mu_x
$$
where ##C## in the second line is different from the one in the first line, the latter is proportional in ##B##.
Now you have a set of differential equations to solve
$$
\dot\mu_z = 0 \\
\dot\mu_x = C^2\mu_y \\
\dot\mu_y = -C^2\mu_x \\$$
Solving this system of equations (e.g. by differentiating the second equation w.r.t. time once and use the third equation to eliminate ##\dot\mu_y##) you get the time dependent dipole moment
$$
\mu_x(t) = \mu_y(0) \sin(\omega t) + \mu_x(0) \cos(\omega t) \\
\mu_y(t) = \mu_y(0) \cos(\omega t) - \mu_y(0) \sin(\omega t) \\
\mu_z(t) =\mu_z(0)
$$
with ##\omega## proportional to ##B##. The z component is constant over time but the x and y components undergo a circular motion, this is by definition called precession.
Up to now, the derivation is completely classical. If you resort to QM by considering a region of constant magnetic field in the z direction and calculating the time-dependent expectation value of spin components you will get a very similar expressions.
In a constant magnetic field ##B##, the Hamiltonian of a spin-only system is ##H = CBS_z## which results in the time-evolution operator of the form ##U = \exp(-iCBS_zt)## (with ##C## another constant). The expectation values of spin components turns out to be given by
$$
\langle S_x(t) \rangle = \langle U^\dagger S_x U\rangle = \langle S_x(0) \rangle \cos(\omega t) - \langle S_y(0) \rangle \sin(\omega t) \\
\langle S_x(t) \rangle = \langle U^\dagger S_y U\rangle = \langle S_y(0) \rangle \cos(\omega t) + \langle S_x(0) \rangle \sin(\omega t) \\
\langle S_z(t) \rangle = \langle U^\dagger S_z U\rangle = \langle S_z(0)
$$
Which closely resembles the classical analogue. As a trivia it might be a good exercise to derive ##U^\dagger S_i U## (##i=x,y,z##).
WWCY said:
But was it not the case that the magnetic moments were found to be either parallel or anti-parallel (and no in-betweens)? Does this not mean that there wasn't any precession
In the above scheme if you measure the z component of spin you will indeed observe two spots on the screen aligned in z direction but recording the x and y components is not easy. In typical experiment they send the atoms in a continuous beam (i.e. not pulsed or bunched), therefore what is recorded in the screen is an accumulation of many measurements from different times obscuring the oscillating movement of the spot in x or y direction.

Last edited:
Likes WWCY
blue_leaf77 said:
The rate of change of angular momentum is equal to the torque, that's what you get in classical mechanics. It's just the rotational analog of the rate of change of momentum being equal to force.
Assume your homogenous magnetic field points in positive z direction, ##\mathbf B = B\mathbf k## and the dipole moment ##\mathbf \mu = \mu_x \mathbf i + \mu_y \mathbf j + \mu_z \mathbf k##, then
$$
\mathbf \mu \times \mathbf B = \mathbf i B \mu_y - \mathbf j B \mu_x
$$
Putting this into the equation of motion of the dipole
$$
\frac{d\mathbf \mu}{dt} = C(\mathbf \mu \times \mathbf B) \\
\dot{\mu}_x \mathbf i + \dot{\mu}_y \mathbf j + \dot{\mu}_z \mathbf k = \mathbf i C \mu_y - \mathbf j C \mu_x
$$
where ##C## in the second line is different from the one in the first line, the former is proportional in ##B##.
Now you have a set of differential equations to solve
$$
\dot\mu_z = 0 \\
\dot\mu_x = C^2\mu_y \\
\dot\mu_y = -C^2\mu_x \\$$
Solving this system of equations (e.g. by differentiating the second equation w.r.t. time once and use the third equation to eliminate ##\dot\mu_y##) you get the time dependent dipole moment
$$
\mu_x(t) = \mu_y(0) \sin(\omega t) + \mu_x(0) \cos(\omega t) \\
\mu_y(t) = \mu_y(0) \cos(\omega t) - \mu_y(0) \sin(\omega t) \\
\mu_z(t) =\mu_z(0)
$$
with ##\omega## proportional to ##B##. The z component is constant over time but the x and y components undergo a circular motion, this is by definition called precession.
Up to now, the derivation is completely classical. If you resort to QM by considering a region of constant magnetic field in the z direction and calculating the time-dependent expectation value of spin components you will get a very similar expressions.
In a constant magnetic field ##B##, the Hamiltonian of a spin-only system is ##H = CBS_z## which results in the time-evolution operator of the form ##U = \exp(-iCBS_zt)## (with ##C## another constant). The expectation values of spin components turns out to be given by
$$
\langle S_x(t) \rangle = \langle U^\dagger S_x U\rangle = \langle S_x(0) \rangle \cos(\omega t) - \langle S_y(0) \rangle \sin(\omega t) \\
\langle S_x(t) \rangle = \langle U^\dagger S_y U\rangle = \langle S_y(0) \rangle \cos(\omega t) + \langle S_x(0) \rangle \sin(\omega t) \\
\langle S_z(t) \rangle = \langle U^\dagger S_z U\rangle = \langle S_z(0)
$$
Which closely resembles the classical analogue. As a trivia it might be a good exercise to derive ##U^\dagger S_i U## (##i=x,y,z##).

In the above scheme if you measure the z component of spin you will indeed observe two spots on the screen aligned in z direction but recording the x and y components is not easy. In typical experiment they send the atoms in a continuous beam (i.e. not pulsed or bunched), therefore what is recorded in the screen is an accumulation of many measurements from different times obscuring the oscillating movement of the spot in x or y direction.

The equations of motion helped a great deal, thank you for your time!

WWCY said:
The equations of motion helped a great deal, thank you for your time!
You're welcome.

1. What is the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment is a landmark physics experiment conducted by Otto Stern and Walther Gerlach in 1922. It was designed to test the quantum mechanical properties of particles, specifically their intrinsic angular momentum or "spin".

2. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment work?

In the experiment, a beam of particles is directed between two magnets with opposite polarity. The magnetic field causes the particles to split into two distinct paths, which can be observed on a detector screen. This splitting is due to the particles' spin, which has only two possible values in this setup - up or down.

3. What is spin confusion in the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

Spin confusion refers to the idea that the results of the Stern-Gerlach experiment seem to contradict the classical understanding of particles having a continuous range of spin values. Instead, the experiment showed that particles have a discrete set of spin values, which was a revolutionary discovery in the field of quantum mechanics.

4. How does the Stern-Gerlach experiment demonstrate the concept of superposition?

In the Stern-Gerlach experiment, particles are observed to have a quantized spin value when passing through the magnetic field. However, before the measurement is taken, the particles exist in a state of superposition, meaning they have both up and down spin values simultaneously. It is only upon measurement that the particles "collapse" into one of the two possible spin states.

5. What are the practical applications of the Stern-Gerlach experiment?

The Stern-Gerlach experiment has played a crucial role in understanding quantum mechanics and has led to many practical applications. These include the development of magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) technology, which uses the principles of spin to produce detailed images of the body, and the development of quantum computers, which utilize the concept of superposition to perform complex calculations at a much faster rate than classical computers.