1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the average force of friction

1. Jan 6, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A 5kg box is tossed across the floor at 4 m/s and slides to a stop in 3 seconds. What is the average force of friction?

2. Relevant equations
    I believe the answer is 6.66N, I found that because the problem was pulled from the book. But I am trying to understand how and why. What formula is used, so if I come across it again, I have a better understanding to figure it out.

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2015 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You can calculate the initial momentum of the box. The momentum of the box is zero when it stops moving. What formula relates force to a change in momentum?

4. Jan 6, 2015 #3
    That would be impulse, f*t
    and f=m*a
    so the impulse would be, (m*a)*t
    impulse=(5*(4/3))*3=20

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  5. Jan 6, 2015 #4

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Yes, if you use 4/3 as average acceleration. However, to solve for average F in equation for impulse, you'd do better to keep F as an unknown instead of writting it as m*a. To solve for F using F = m*a , you could claim that average force = mass * average acceleration.

6. Jan 6, 2015 #5
    OK, so then I know that t=3, and I(impulse)=20, If F is unknown then F=I/T= 6.66N

7. Jan 6, 2015 #6

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Yes

8. Jan 10, 2015 #7
    Thank you for the help. I greatly appreciate it :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted