Find the Best Thermodynamics Books for Clear Insight

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
Tahmeed
Messages
81
Reaction score
4
I want a book on Thermo and statistical physics that will give me a clear insight on every basic thermodynamics systems. I am already done with Shroedar's introduction to thermal physics btw. I basically need a book that clears my concept more than solving problems. And the more on thermochemistry the book has, the better will it be, in fact it should have decent introductory chapters on thermochemistry.

Any advices?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're done with Schroeder, I suggest 'Statistical Physics Part I' by Landau & Lifshitz (Volume 5 of their Course of Theoretical Physics). It's one of the finest books in the series and is remarkably thorough.

You could also check David Tong's excellent lecture notes on statistical physics at http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/tong/statphys.html, which are more elementary than L&L.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: vanhees71
You can try the Fermi's book. This books gives a really good physical insight,it's not a complete book but offer a strong basis on fundamental thermodynamics.
As always,you can try the Feynman books, did you?
When i did Thermodynamics i studied Sears's and Sallinger's book, it is not so conceitual as Feynman ou Fermi but is a good book.
Saying again,for understand the basis of thermodynamics Fermi is the book.
 
Tahmeed said:
I want a book on Thermo and statistical physics that will give me a clear insight on every basic thermodynamics systems. I am already done with Shroedar's introduction to thermal physics btw. I basically need a book that clears my concept more than solving problems. And the more on thermochemistry the book has, the better will it be, in fact it should have decent introductory chapters on thermochemistry.

Any advices?
I bought "Commenly Asked Questions on Thermodynamics" as a primer. Easy to read printing with one colour.