1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the domain of this function

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    What is the domain of sqrt(2x-x^3)

I thought this would be pretty straight forward but I am completely stumped. So obviously square root is not defined for (-inf, 0), therefore I said:

2x-x^3 >= 0

Working this out you get x <= sqrt(2) as the domain.

That is partially correct but I can't for the life of me get the rest of the answer.
    The final answer is (-inf,-sqrt(2)] and [0, sqrt(2)]

HOW do you find out that (-sqrt(2), 0) is not defined?

Thanks for the read and help :D

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You oversimplified things. I think this is what you did:
    2x - x3 ≥ 0

x(2 - x2) ≥ 0 (so far, so good)

Next, it looks like you divided both sides by x - not good.

You need to factor the quadratic part, and you can't throw away the x factor as you did. Note that x = -2 is in the domain, which your work doesn't show.

4. Jan 23, 2013 #3
    Actually I did something worse i think, but I didn't know it was not correct? I started with

2x - x3 ≥ 0

but then I did this: 2x ≥ x3 and then canceled the Xs....
    so then I was left with

2 ≥ x2 ... leading to my original answer of sqrt(2) ≥ x

Why is this approach wrong?

Thanks for all the replies by the way :)

5. Jan 23, 2013 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Dividing through by x before or after moving the x3 to the other side is an equivalent procedure.

What you should do is draw the graph of [itex]y=x^3-2x[/itex] and notice where y>0. You should know that [itex]y=x(x^2-2)[/itex] is the same graph. Now draw just [itex]y=x^2-2[/itex]. Although the shape is completely different, the part where it crosses the x-axis at [itex]x=\pm\sqrt{2}[/itex] is still the same with both graphs, but it's missing some extra information, such as it doesn't cross the x-axis at x=0.

Why's this? Well, when you divided [itex]x^3-2x[/itex] by x, this assumes that [itex]x\neq 0[/itex] because you can't divide by zero, but x can be equal to zero, so you've changed the graph.

By the way, if [itex]x^2\leq 2[/itex] then the solution set for this inequality is [-2,2]. Again, draw the graph of [itex]y=x^2-2[/itex] and find where y<0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook