Find the domain of this function

In summary, the domain of sqrt(2x-x^3) is (-inf,-sqrt(2)] and [0, sqrt(2)]. To find this domain, you need to factor the quadratic part and draw the graph of y=x^3-2x and y=x^2-2 to determine where the function is positive or negative. Dividing by x in the initial equation will change the graph and lead to incorrect solutions.
calif2a8
What is the domain of sqrt(2x-x^3)

I thought this would be pretty straight forward but I am completely stumped. So obviously square root is not defined for (-inf, 0), therefore I said:

2x-x^3 >= 0

Working this out you get x <= sqrt(2) as the domain.

That is partially correct but I can't for the life of me get the rest of the answer.
The final answer is (-inf,-sqrt(2)] and [0, sqrt(2)]

HOW do you find out that (-sqrt(2), 0) is not defined?

Thanks for the read and help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
calif2a8 said:
What is the domain of sqrt(2x-x^3)

I thought this would be pretty straight forward but I am completely stumped. So obviously square root is not defined for (-inf, 0), therefore I said:

2x-x^3 >= 0

Working this out you get x <= sqrt(2) as the domain.
You oversimplified things. I think this is what you did:
2x - x3 ≥ 0

x(2 - x2) ≥ 0 (so far, so good)

Next, it looks like you divided both sides by x - not good.

You need to factor the quadratic part, and you can't throw away the x factor as you did. Note that x = -2 is in the domain, which your work doesn't show.
calif2a8 said:
That is partially correct but I can't for the life of me get the rest of the answer.
The final answer is (-inf,-sqrt(2)] and [0, sqrt(2)]

HOW do you find out that (-sqrt(2), 0) is not defined?

Thanks for the read and help :D

Mark44 said:
You oversimplified things. I think this is what you did:

x(2 - x2) ≥ 0 (so far, so good)

Actually I did something worse i think, but I didn't know it was not correct? I started with

2x - x3 ≥ 0

but then I did this: 2x ≥ x3 and then canceled the Xs...
so then I was left with

2 ≥ x2 ... leading to my original answer of sqrt(2) ≥ x

Why is this approach wrong?

Thanks for all the replies by the way :)

calif2a8 said:
Actually I did something worse i think, but I didn't know it was not correct? I started with

2x - x3 ≥ 0

but then I did this: 2x ≥ x3 and then canceled the Xs...
so then I was left with

2 ≥ x2 ... leading to my original answer of sqrt(2) ≥ x

Why is this approach wrong?

Thanks for all the replies by the way :)

Dividing through by x before or after moving the x3 to the other side is an equivalent procedure.

What you should do is draw the graph of [itex]y=x^3-2x[/itex] and notice where y>0. You should know that [itex]y=x(x^2-2)[/itex] is the same graph. Now draw just [itex]y=x^2-2[/itex]. Although the shape is completely different, the part where it crosses the x-axis at [itex]x=\pm\sqrt{2}[/itex] is still the same with both graphs, but it's missing some extra information, such as it doesn't cross the x-axis at x=0.

Why's this? Well, when you divided [itex]x^3-2x[/itex] by x, this assumes that [itex]x\neq 0[/itex] because you can't divide by zero, but x can be equal to zero, so you've changed the graph.

By the way, if [itex]x^2\leq 2[/itex] then the solution set for this inequality is [-2,2]. Again, draw the graph of [itex]y=x^2-2[/itex] and find where y<0.

1. What is the definition of a domain in a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values for the function. It represents the range of values that the independent variable can take on.

2. How do you determine the domain of a function?

To determine the domain of a function, you need to look at the given function and identify any restrictions or rules for the input values. These restrictions can include non-permissible values such as negative numbers under a square root or division by zero.

3. Can the domain of a function be negative?

Yes, the domain of a function can include negative numbers as long as there are no restrictions or rules that prevent it. For example, the domain of the function f(x) = x² is all real numbers, including negative numbers, but the function g(x) = 1/x has a restricted domain of all real numbers except for x = 0.

4. What happens if there is no specified domain for a function?

If there is no specified domain for a function, it is assumed to have a domain of all real numbers. However, it is important to note any potential restrictions or rules that may apply to the function.

5. Can the domain of a function change?

Yes, the domain of a function can change depending on the given context or situation. For example, a rational function may have a different domain when it is graphed on a certain interval compared to its overall domain. It is important to consider the context when determining the domain of a function.