What are the implied domain and range of cos(arctan(x))?

In summary, the domain of a composite function must be considered in terms of the inverse image of the outer function. For a domain of [0, pi], the values of cos(arctan(x)) would not be possible, as 0 is excluded from the range of the composite function due to pi/2 being excluded from the domain of tan^-1.
Darkmisc
Homework Statement
The domain of cos is restricted to [0, pi]. What is the implied domain and range of cos(tan^-1(x))?
Relevant Equations
y=cos(tan^-1(x))?
Hi everyone

I have the solution to this question, but I'm not sure I understand it.

1674111199416.png

image_2023-01-19_174256922.png

1674110596820.png

Why is the domain of the composite function
image_2023-01-19_174415215.png
and not [0, pi]?

Is it because tan^-1 (0 and R+) will always give a value between (-pi/2, pi/2)? I.e. the domain of the composite function refers to x.

Is 0 excluded from the range of the composite function because pi/2 is excluded from the domain of tan^-1?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I observe graph of
[tex]y=\cos(\arctan x)[/tex]
shows peak y=1 at x=0 and going down to zero for both plus and minus x. x=##\pm \infty## correspond with arctan x=##\pm \pi/2##. It should be adjusted if we apply [0,##\pi##) for x. Isn't it enough ?

Last edited:
Likes Darkmisc
To find the implied domain of a composite function we need to consider the inverse image of the outer function. So we If we want 0<arctan(x)<pi we must have 0<=x as the domain. Next we consider values of cos(arctan(x)) that are possible. That will be the range. 0 excluded from the range of the composite function because pi/2 is excluded from the range of tan^-1. Yes, tan^-1 ({0} U R+) will always give a value in (-pi/2, pi/2) in fact in [0, pi/2) require that arctan be in [0, pi] due to the restriction of cos.

Likes Darkmisc
Darkmisc said:
I have the solution to this question, but I'm not sure I understand it.
I think you do :smile:

Darkmisc said:
Why is the domain of the composite functionView attachment 320662 and not [0, pi]?
Please don't use images, write ## \mathbb R^+ \cup \{0\} ##, or the less clunky ## [0, \infty) ##.

Darkmisc said:
Is it because tan^-1 (0 and R+) will always give a value between (-pi/2, pi/2)?
Yes.

Darkmisc said:
Is 0 excluded from the range of the composite function because pi/2 is excluded from the domain of tan^-1?
Yes.

Likes Darkmisc

What is the implied domain of cos(arctan(x))?

The implied domain of cos(arctan(x)) is all real numbers except for those that make the argument of the arctan function undefined. This means that x cannot equal 0, since arctan(0) is undefined.

What is the implied range of cos(arctan(x))?

The implied range of cos(arctan(x)) is all real numbers between -1 and 1, since the range of the cos function is between -1 and 1, and the arctan function has a range of all real numbers.

Why is x=0 excluded from the implied domain?

X=0 is excluded from the implied domain because it makes the argument of the arctan function undefined. The arctan function has an asymptote at x=0, meaning that the function approaches infinity as x approaches 0.

What happens if x is outside the implied domain?

If x is outside the implied domain, then the function cos(arctan(x)) is undefined. This means that there is no output for that particular input, as it does not fall within the defined range of the function.

Can the implied domain and range of cos(arctan(x)) be changed?

No, the implied domain and range of cos(arctan(x)) cannot be changed. These are fundamental properties of the function and cannot be altered. However, the domain and range of the composite function cos(arctan(x)) can be restricted or extended depending on the context of the problem.