Find the equilibrium concentration

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equilibrium concentrations of NO, N2O, and NO2 in a reaction at 300 K with a given kp value. The speaker converts kp to kc and uses an ICE chart to solve for the equilibrium concentrations. They determine that the reaction goes to completion due to the large equilibrium constant. The speaker also considers using stoichiometry to find the equilibrium concentrations.
jumbogala

Homework Statement

At 300 K, kp = 1.5 x 1018 for the reaction 3NO --> N2O + NO2

If 0.030 mol of NO were placed in a 1.00 L vessel and and equilibrium was established, find the equilibrium concentrations of NO, N2O and NO2.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I converted kp to kc using the formula kc = kp (RT)(change in mols of gas)

I get kc = (1.5 x 10^18)((0.0821)(300K))^(-1) = 6.08 x 10^16

Then, using an ICE chart, I found the mass action expression is equal to:

x2 / (0.030 - 3x)3

kc should be equal to the mass action expression.

But I can't figure out how to solve for x. There don't seem to be any simplifications I can make.

Physics news on Phys.org
jumbogala said:
There don't seem to be any simplifications I can make.

Looks to me like equilibrium is shifted faaaar to the right. What does it tell you about amount of products?

That the amount of products is very big compared to the amount of reactants. The reaction goes pretty much to completion.

So, I shouldn't even do an ICE chart, I should just use stoich?

At what point is kc big enough that I can assume the reaction goes to completion?

1. What is meant by equilibrium concentration?

Equilibrium concentration refers to the concentration of a substance in a chemical reaction when the rate of its forward reaction is equal to the rate of its reverse reaction. This means that the concentration of the substance remains constant over time.

2. How is equilibrium concentration calculated?

Equilibrium concentration can be calculated through the use of the equilibrium constant, which is a ratio of the products to reactants at equilibrium. The value of the equilibrium constant can be determined experimentally or through mathematical equations.

3. What factors affect the equilibrium concentration?

The equilibrium concentration is affected by changes in temperature, pressure, and the concentrations of reactants and products. These changes can shift the equilibrium towards either the reactants or products, resulting in a different equilibrium concentration.

4. How can equilibrium concentration be altered?

Equilibrium concentration can be altered by changing the conditions of the reaction, such as temperature, pressure, or concentration of reactants and products. This can be done by adjusting the reaction conditions or adding or removing substances from the reaction mixture.

5. Why is it important to find the equilibrium concentration?

Finding the equilibrium concentration is important for understanding the behavior of a chemical reaction and predicting the outcome of the reaction. It also allows for the optimization of reaction conditions to produce the desired amount of products.