1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pressure and concentration equilibria

1. Apr 20, 2009 #1
    1. COCl2(g) D CO(g) + Cl2(g) Kp = 6.8 x 10-9 at 100oC

What will be the equilibrium concentrations of all 3 gases if 1.0 atm of phosgene (COCl2) is placed into 5.0L reaction vessel?

The answer is

[COCl2]eq = 0.033M
    [CO]eq = [Cl2]eq = 2.69 x 10-10M

I don't get how the second one is solved. I used this method

I found out it's going towards the products because the reactant is decomposing and there is no products yet to be in equilibrium

Finding initial 1 -> 0 + 0
    Finding the amount taken out -x +x +x

I can use the assumption method to assume that since Kp is sooo small x can be ignored for 1-x so....

Kp= x^2/1

Also since it can be ignored i assumed that the equilibrium pressure for phosgene is 1 and then i used C=P/RT to get 0.033.

However! for the concentrations of the products I can't seem to get them at all!!

I tried converting Kp to Kc --> Kc=Kp(RT)^-delta (n)

delta(n)=2-1=1 so its Kc= Kp/RT which equals 2.27e-10.

So I tried doing products/reactants=Kc

but (2.69 x 10-10)^2/0.033 does NOT equal 2.27e-10 so I'm lost to where I went wrong with this equation...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So, in the denominator you think that the 'x' (1-x in your analysis) is small enough to be ignored but you want to assume it is there in the numerator. I'm afraid you are going to have to do a complete solution. 'Complete' means that 1-x is not equal to 1.

You can make that assumption (x=0) when you are only using two significant figures to denote the phoshene concentration but you can't if you ever want to actually calculate 'x'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook