1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the equilibrium separation between two materials

1. Jun 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the equilibrium separation between Diamond and Copper materials.

2. Relevant equations

Lennard-Jones force/unit area:

[itex]p_a(z)=\frac{8w}{3z_0}\left[\left(\frac{z}{z_0}\right)^{-9}-\left(\frac{z}{z_0}\right)^{-3}\right][/itex]

I need to find [itex]z_0[/itex] which is the equilibrium separation.

w is the surface adhesion energy in Joules/m^2.

3. The attempt at a solution

I did not know where to post this question because I do not know if it even has a solution with the information that I have. It is a question I am asking myself because I am trying to predict some behavior to purchase some things. I know that equilibrium separation is where there is zero force/stress encountered. However, I do not know where actual data for equilibrium separation is obtained. Must it be done experimentally? Is it something non-trivial?

Is this the right board to post this in? Should this be in physics, or elsewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2014 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

LJ potential is mentioned in the GenChem curriculum, other than that I don't see much chemistry here. Moving it to General Physics for you.

4. Jun 15, 2014 #3
    Thanks for the info.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook