1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Interaction between two material points

1. Jul 25, 2012 #1
    Hi,
    there are two material points with unitary mass that can move on a stright line. They are subject to a potential of mutual interaction V which depends on x and y and it's not symmetric, where x and y are the coordinates of the two points.
    I can choose in the istant 0 v1,v2,x and y. How can I find, in t=0, the force that x and y suffer because of the potential?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2012 #2
    I may have misunderstood the question, but if you have the potential field at every point, the force felt should be:

[itex]F=-∇U(x,y)[/itex].

F is the negative of the gradient of U

to simplify even further, if you say the masses move on straight lies only, this becomes a one dimensional problem, as you can express y as a function of x.

4. Jul 26, 2012 #3
    Yes, but x e y are coordinates along the same straight line.
    I might get the two forces by the derivative of the potential respect to x and y with changed sign, but if you look at how the system evolves at regular intervals, the mechanical energy is not conserved.

5. Jul 27, 2012 #4
    up..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook