Find the frequency of the oscillation of a horizontal beam.

In summary, the question asks for the frequency of a uniform meter stick oscillating up and down with a spring attached at one end and a hinge at the other end. By writing a torque equation, it can be determined that the solution to the equation of motion is a sinusoid plus a constant, and the frequency of oscillation is not affected by the constant term.
Ishaan S

Homework Statement

A uniform meter stick of mass M is pivoted on a hinge at one end and held horizontal by a spring with spring constant k attached at the other end. If the stick oscillates up and down slightly, what is its frequency? [Hint: Write a torque equation about the hinge.] The length of the beam is 1.25 m.

Homework Equations

τ = Iα

Fspring = -kx

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found the question online and have linked it to this comment in case someone needs to see a picture of the scenario.

I started by writing a torque equation, with the beam angled θ above the horizontal and x being the displacement of the spring tip above the horizontal.

The torques about the pivot on the wall on the stick, using the small angle approximation, are:

1) The spring exerts a force, -kx = -kLθ , a distance, L, away from the pivot. Thus, the torque exerted by the spring is, for small angles, -kxL2θ.

2) The center of mass exerts a torque, given by -mgL/2.

The torque equation is. therefore, ∑τ = Iθ'' = -kL2θ - mgL/2.

This is where I was stuck. I don't know how to solve differential equations beyond separable ones as of yet. The book I am using shows that the solution to a simple harmonic oscillator's equation of motion is just a sinusoid; however, this does not seem like a simple oscillator as there is gravity in this system, which is odd as this is the simple oscillatory section of my book.

I tried substituting a function of cosine; however it does not seem to work. If anyone could shed light as to what I did incorrectly or what I am overlooking, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• oscillationsOfABeam.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 2,146
Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to mention, the problem in the attachment is number 5.

Consider the function y=sin(x)+47

When you differentiate, the constant will just disappear, so the function will be a solution to y''= -(y-47)

You could do this more generally to find the solution of y'' = -C1y+C2 (which is the form of your equation) but I just wanted to make a point.

mgL/2 is just a constant, so the solution to your equation will be a sinusoid plus a constant. Adding a constant doesn't affect the frequency of oscillation (it just shifts the equilibrium position which it is oscillating about).

Ok. Thank you very much. I get it now.

1. What is the definition of frequency in relation to oscillation?

Frequency is the number of oscillations or cycles per unit of time, typically measured in Hertz (Hz).

2. How is the frequency of a horizontal beam determined?

The frequency of a horizontal beam is determined by its length, mass, and stiffness. These factors affect the natural oscillation of the beam, which can be calculated using mathematical equations.

3. What is the formula for finding the frequency of a horizontal beam?

The formula for finding the frequency of a horizontal beam is f = 1/(2π) * √(k/m), where f is the frequency, k is the stiffness of the beam, and m is the mass of the beam.

4. Can the frequency of a horizontal beam be changed?

Yes, the frequency of a horizontal beam can be changed by altering its length, mass, or stiffness. For example, increasing the stiffness of the beam will result in a higher frequency, while increasing the mass will result in a lower frequency.

5. What are some real-world applications of determining the frequency of a horizontal beam?

The frequency of a horizontal beam is important in many engineering and scientific fields, such as structural engineering, mechanical engineering, and acoustics. It can be used to design and optimize structures, analyze vibrations and resonance, and study the behavior of materials under different conditions.