1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the magnitudes of all of the forces acting on the sled

1. Apr 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person pulls on a rope attached to a 5 kg sled. The rope makes an angle of 30 degrees with the horizontal. Sled accelerates horizontally at 1.7 m/s^2. There is no friction.

2. Relevant equations
    ma = Fnet
    mg = Fgravity

3. The attempt at a solution
    Fnorm = earth force up on sled
    Fr = the force of the rope of the sled being pulled

The x and y components for Fr would be y = Frsinθ and x=Frcosθ.
    Vector of Fnorm = <0, Fnorm>
    Vector of Fg = <0, -50>
    Vector of Fr = <Frcos30, Frsin30>

Fnetx => 8.5 = Frcos30
    Fnety => 0 = Fc - 50 + Frsin30

So I got this far and starting doing algebraic stuff to solve for Fr and then plugging that into the second equation. From there, I solved for Fc, and the value was 45.095 N. And from the Fnetx equation, Fr = 9.8 N.
    However, when I added all the magnitudes of forces, my answer does not equal to the Fnet, which is ma = 8.5 N.
    Can someone help me with this? Have I forgotten something? Am I even doing this right?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2015 #2
    Show us how you added up the forces to get the net force. Your answers so far look OK.

Chet

4. Apr 7, 2015 #3
    For the net force, I did the force magnitude of Fnorm plus force magnitude of Fr minus the force magnitude of Fg, which is 8.5 N + 45.095 N - 50 N. That answer got me 3.595 N.

5. Apr 7, 2015 #4
    The forces have to be added as vectors, not as scalars.

Chet

6. Apr 7, 2015 #5
    How do I do that?

7. Apr 7, 2015 #6
    You do it by adding their components. But, you've already done that.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted