Find the mass of the skateboard

In summary, a 43.9 kg student with a horizontal speed of 4.03 m/s jumps onto a stationary skateboard and moves down the sidewalk with a speed of 3.85 m/s. To find the mass of the skateboard, we can use conservation of momentum and assume the student's landing speed is 4.03 m/s. The mass of the skateboard is therefore also 43.9 kg. To calculate the speed the student would need to jump with in order to have a final speed of 6.93 m/s, we would need more information, such as the distance the student travels on the skateboard. Without this information, it is not possible to determine the speed.
Maiia

Homework Statement

A 43.9 kg student runs down the sidewalk and jumps with a horizontal speed of 4.03 m/s onto a stationary skateboard. The student and skateboard move down the sidewalk with a speed of 3.85 m/s.
a) find the mass of the skateboard. answer in units of kg
b) How fast would the student have to jump to have a final speed of 6.93 m/s. Answer in units of m/s.

I assume I would need to find how fast he runs down the sidewalk to begin? Would I then add that to the horizontal speed, or would I have to add them like vectors...?

Physics news on Phys.org

How would you figure that out? I don't think you can. Just assume the students speed when landing on the skateboard is 4.03m/s and use conservation of momentum.

i see. Thank you for your help! :)

What is the definition of mass?

The mass of an object is the amount of matter it contains, measured in kilograms.

How is the mass of a skateboard typically measured?

The mass of a skateboard is typically measured using a scale or balance that can accurately measure in kilograms.

Why is it important to find the mass of a skateboard?

Finding the mass of a skateboard can help determine its weight and how much force is needed to move or manipulate it. It is also important in understanding the skateboard's overall composition and design.

What are the units used to measure the mass of a skateboard?

The standard unit of measurement for mass is kilograms (kg). However, some other commonly used units include grams (g) and pounds (lbs).

How can I accurately measure the mass of a skateboard?

The most accurate way to measure the mass of a skateboard is by using a scale or balance specifically designed for measuring objects in kilograms. Place the skateboard on the scale and make sure it is level before taking the measurement.