Find the maximum value of the product of two real numbers

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 2K views
chwala
Gold Member
Messages
2,844
Reaction score
434
Homework Statement
The sum of two real numbers ##x## and ##y## is ##12##. Find the maximum value of their product ##xy##.
Relevant Equations
Arithmetic and geometric means
Using the inequality of arithmetic and geometric means,
$$\frac {x+y}{2}≥\sqrt{xy}$$
$$6^2≥xy$$
$$36≥xy$$

I can see the textbook answer is ##36##, my question is can ##x=y?##, like in this case.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Solve
[tex]xy=36[/tex]
[tex]x+y=12[/tex]
to check your assumption.
 
Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Solve
[tex]xy=36[/tex]
[tex]x+y=12[/tex]
to check your assumption.
$$x^2-12x+36=0$$, Giving us a repeated root... i get that, ok ##⇒x=y## cheers Anutta...
 
Another way to do this that doesn't use the arithmetic mean and geometric mean:

Maximize ##f(x, y) = xy## given that ##x + y = 12##.
##f(x, y) = xy = x(12 - x) = -x^2 + 12x = -(x^2 - 12x + 36) + 36 = -(x - 6)^2 + 36##
The graph of the last expression is a parabola that opens downward, with its vertex at (6, 36). Since the parabola opens downward, its maximum value is 36.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: benorin, Delta2 and chwala
Yet another way is direct substitution: use ##x+y =6## to sub in in ##f(x,y)= xy## and get a function of x alone. Then find the max in the usual way.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: benorin, Delta2 and chwala
WWGD said:
Yet another way is direct substitution: use ##x+y =6## to sub in in ##f(x,y)= xy## and get a function of x alone. Then find the max in the usual way.
This is exactly what I did in my previous post.
 
  • Like
  • Love
Likes   Reactions: Delta2 and WWGD
In both ##x+y=12## and ##xy##, ##x## and ##y## appear symmetrically, so I'd expect ##x=y## to correspond to an extremum ##xy##. It's then easy to see that it's a maximum and not a minimum.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: benorin and Delta2
vela said:
In both ##x+y=12## and ##xy##, ##x## and ##y## appear symmetrically, so I'd expect ##x=y## to correspond to an extremum ##xy##. It's then easy to see that it's a maximum and not a minimum.
Good point. Guess we can model it by a rectangle with perimeter 24 ( simplified by halving), whose area is maximized when both its sides are equal.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: benorin
...I just noted that we could also use the Lagrange Multiplier, in solving this kind of problems...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: benorin and PhDeezNutz
Lagrange multipliers method:

##f(x,y)=xy##
##g(x,y)=x+y=12##

##\nabla f := \lambda \nabla g##
##<y,x> := \lambda <1,1>##
Hence ##x=\lambda =y\Rightarrow x+x=12\Rightarrow x=6=y##

Not so bad :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chwala
benorin said:
Lagrange multipliers method:

##f(x,y)=xy##
##g(x,y)=x+y=12##

##\nabla f := \lambda \nabla g##
##<y,x> := \lambda <1,1>##
Hence ##x=\lambda =y\Rightarrow x+x=12\Rightarrow x=6=y##

Not so bad :)
Nice,...##g(x,y)= x+y##...from what I've read... and not ##x+y-12##...Is that correct. Cheers man!
 
benorin said:
the derivative of a constant is zero so it doesn't matter
Thanks ...I had already noted that...I just want to be certain on the correct definition of ##g(x,y)##...cheers benorin.
 
Don't think of it as a function ##g(x,y)## think of it as a restriction ##g(x,y):=k## is an equation not a function, more precisely it's level curve or surface of the function I told you not to think of. ;)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: chwala