Find the minimum velocity for bucket in circular motion

In summary, The question is about finding the minimum speed of a bucket of water in a vertical circle with a radius of 1.00m in order to prevent any water from spilling out. The solution involves calculating the centripetal force needed to keep the water rotating and not spilling out, and equating it with the force of gravity pulling the water down. The resulting equation is mg=mv^2/2, where m is the mass of the water, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and v is the minimum speed of the bucket at the top of the circle.
Tui
Hey, first of all I'm not looking for the answer I just want a nudge in the right direction :)

Homework Statement

"a bucket of water is rotated in a vertical circle of radius 1.00m. What is the buckets minimum speed at the top of the circle if no water is to spill out?

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure where to start so.. :|

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure I must find the size of the force pulling the bucket downwards and equate that with the one pushing the water against the bucket? (I realize I've probably stuffed some force up here. this is confusing for me :))

If anyone could help with the equations I need then I can hopefully work this out on my own. Thanks a lot in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey could it be that a(centrefugal or whatever :P) = v^2 / r

So I put -9.8 in for acceleration and work out v?

We need to pull the water to make it rotate or centripetal force
Since at the top the gravity is pulling the water down.

If mg=mv^/2, the resultant force is just to keep it rotating and not going anywhere else.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path, with a constant distance from a fixed point.

2. How is velocity defined in circular motion?

In circular motion, velocity is defined as the rate of change of the object's position along the circular path. It is a vector quantity that includes both speed and direction.

3. Why is finding the minimum velocity important in circular motion?

Finding the minimum velocity is important in circular motion because it represents the velocity required for an object to maintain a circular path without falling into or moving away from the center. It is also the minimum velocity needed to overcome the centripetal force and maintain the circular motion.

4. What factors affect the minimum velocity in circular motion?

The minimum velocity in circular motion is affected by the radius of the circular path, the mass of the object, and the centripetal force acting on the object. A larger radius or a larger mass will require a higher minimum velocity, while a smaller centripetal force will require a lower minimum velocity.

5. How can the minimum velocity for a bucket in circular motion be calculated?

The minimum velocity for a bucket in circular motion can be calculated by using the formula v = √(rg), where v is the minimum velocity, r is the radius of the circular path, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This formula assumes that the bucket is moving in a horizontal circular path and is experiencing a centripetal force equal to the weight of the bucket.