Spinning a bucket of water in a vertical circle - Inertia

• Thread starter candypie90
  • Start date
candypie90
Homework Statement:
How or why does inertia caused the water in a bucket not to fall out when spinning in a vertical circle.
Relevant Equations:
Is the bucket catching the water?
Homework Statement: How or why does inertia caused the water in a bucket not to fall out when spinning in a vertical circle.
Homework Equations: Is the bucket catching the water?

I know Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its velocity.

Answers and Replies

PhanthomJay
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Please show an attempt at a solution, if you are familiar with centripetal forces and centripetal accelerations.

vela
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Is the bucket catching the water?
I assume this is your attempt at an explanation. The problem is that it doesn't really answer the question. You were asked to use the concept of inertia to explain why the water doesn't fall out the bucket, but if there's a connection between the ideas of "bucket catching the water" and "resistance to changing velocity," it isn't obvious.

I know Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its velocity.
Consider the water and the bucket at the top of the vertical circle. Which way is the water moving? What does the concept of inertia tell you about where the water will be a moment later?

Suggested for: Spinning a bucket of water in a vertical circle - Inertia

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post