Find the molecular mass of acid in acid base neutralization

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 14K views
jessica.so
Messages
20
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


1.5000 g of diprotic weak acid H2A was dissolved in 100.00 mL volumetric flask.
25.00 mL aliqouts of this solution was titrated with a monoprotic strong base NaOH (0.08000 M). The titre volume of NaOH was 40.00 mL. Calculate the molecular weight of H2A.


Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


1 mole of H2A contains 2 moles of H+
1 mole of NaOH contains 1 mole of OH-

2CaVa = CbVb
2 (Ca)(0.02500 L) = (0.0800 M)(0.04000L)
Ca = 0.0640 M

#moles of H2A = CaVa
= (0.0640 M)(0.10000 L)
= 0.00640 mol

molecular mass of H2A = mass/# moles
= 1.5000 g / 0.00640 mol
= 234.375 g/mol

My answer is 234.375 but something seems odd about it. Can anyone tell me if I missed something or did something wrong? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jessica.so said:
2CaVa = CbVb

Question is - is that 2 in the correct place?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I've always been taught that the exponent in CaVa = CbVb equations is the number of moles of H+ ions or OH- ions which is why I put the 2 infront of the CaVa.

Another time I attempted this question but I balanced the neutralization first.
H2A + 2 NaOH --> 2 H2O + Na2A

CaVa = 2 CbVb
(Ca)(0.02500 L) = 2(0.0800 M)(0.04000L)
Ca = 0.256 M

#moles of H2A = CaVa
= (0.256 M)(0.10000 L)
= 0.0256 mol

molecular mass of H2A = mass/# moles
= 1.5000 g / 0.0256 mol
= 58.59 g/mol

This answer seemed wrong too somehow. One of the questions that came up was that the acid we are neutralizing is a weak acid. 25mL of this weak acid was neutralized by 40mL of strong base. Shouldn't a weak acid take less base to neutralize?
 
Last edited:
Exponent? I guess you mean stoichiometric coefficient. But you were right the first time, somehow I got it reversed.

Now, the problem is - 0.00640 moles - is it whole 1.5 g sample?

Strength of the acid has nothing to do with amount of base that it needs to be neutralized. It is all in stoichiometry.
 
:eek: So sorry! Yes, I did mean the coefficient.

So...I'm using the first attempt...

2CaVa = CbVb
2(Ca)(0.02500 L) = (0.0800 M)(0.04000L)
Ca = 0.0640 M

#moles of H2A = CaVa
= (0.0640 M)(0.10000 L)
= 0.00640 mol

molecular mass of H2A = mass/# moles
= 1.5000 g / 0.00640 mol
= 234.375 g/mol

So I found the molarity of the H2A that was neutralized. Because a 25.00 mL sample was taken from the 100.00 mL solution, the molarity stays the same. 1.5000 g made the 100.00 mL solution of H2A so I think the 0.00640 mol is the whole 1.5 g sample.