Chemistry: Titration of of a base to solve for the mass of an unknown acid.

In summary, the student titrated a .4630g of unknown monoprotic acid with .1060M NaOH, with an equivalance point volume of 28.70mL. The number of moles of NaOH used was 3.04E-3 mol. The number of equivalents of unknown acid titrated is unknown. The equivalent mass of the unknown acid is 161.03g/mol.
Hemolymph
A student titrated a .4630g of unknown monoprotic acid with .1060M NaOH. The equivalance point volume is 28.70mL.
a) Calculate the number of moles of NaOH used.
Im pretty sure I got this one
I did .1060 M X .02870L to equal 3.04E-3 mol
b)how many equivalents of unknown acid were titrated? no clue

c) Determine the equivalent mass of the unknown acid
Which is the moles times MM

There is also a table given of acids and there pKa and equivalent masses. If I can figure out what Pka is I should be fine.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hemolymph said:
A student titrated a .4630g of unknown monoprotic acid with .1060M NaOH. The equivalance point volume is 28.70mL.
a) Calculate the number of moles of NaOH used.
Im pretty sure I got this one
I did .1060 M X .02870L to equal 3.04E-3 mol
b)how many equivalents of unknown acid were titrated? no clue

c) Determine the equivalent mass of the unknown acid
Which is the moles times MM

There is also a table given of acids and there pKa and equivalent masses. If I can figure out what Pka is I should be fine.

If the unknown acid is HA, can you write a balanced equation for the titration?

would it be

NaOH + HA= H_2_O+ NaA?

Yes, so if you have 3.04 mmol of NaOH, how many moles of acid do you have?

Last edited:
Well since its one to one it would be the same so 3.04mmol of acid. So would that just be the answer for part b? If so I did not think it could be that simple.

Part b is more about the recognition that it's 1:1, rather than an actual number.

Would part c be .4630g/ .00304moles? Which I got to be 161.03

1. What is titration in chemistry?

Titration in chemistry is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution. It involves adding a known volume of a solution with a known concentration (the titrant) to a solution with an unknown concentration (the analyte) until a chemical reaction occurs, indicating the endpoint of the reaction.

2. What is the purpose of titration?

The purpose of titration is to accurately determine the concentration of an unknown substance in a solution. This technique is commonly used in chemistry to analyze the purity of a substance, to determine the amount of a particular substance in a sample, or to identify an unknown substance.

3. How does titration of a base to solve for the mass of an unknown acid work?

In this process, a known volume and concentration of a base is added to a solution containing an unknown concentration of an acid. The base reacts with the acid until the equivalence point is reached, which is when all of the acid has been neutralized. By knowing the volume and concentration of the base, and the volume of the acid used, the concentration of the acid can be calculated using the stoichiometry of the reaction.

4. What is the difference between an acid and a base?

An acid is a substance that donates hydrogen ions (H+) in a chemical reaction, while a base is a substance that accepts hydrogen ions. Acids are typically sour-tasting and can be corrosive, while bases are typically bitter-tasting and can be slippery. In a titration, an acid and base are used to neutralize each other, resulting in a salt and water.

5. What is the importance of accurate measurements in titration?

Accurate measurements are crucial in titration because the results of the analysis depend on the precision and accuracy of the measurements. Any errors in volume or concentration can greatly affect the calculated value of the unknown substance. It is important to use calibrated equipment and carefully follow the titration procedure to ensure accurate results.