Find the nth term of the given sequence

In summary, the conversation discusses different approaches to finding the nth term of a sequence. One person was able to solve it using trial and error and noticed that the sequence was the cubes plus one. Another person is seeking an alternative method and is posting their working. It is mentioned that there is no unique solution and that there may be an infinite number of polynomial solutions. An example of a possible solution is given as n^3 + 1 + p(n)(n - 1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5) for any polynomial p.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Find the nth term of the sequence ##[2, 9 , 28, 65, 126]##
Relevant Equations
sequences
My working...i need to arrange this in an array,

##[2, 9, 28, 65, 126]##
##[ 7, 19, 37, 61 ]##
##[ 12, 18, 24 ]##
##[ 6, 6 ]##
I was able to solve this by coming up with 4 simultaneous equations,
third difference we have a constant implying a cubic sequence... therefore our sequence will be of the form ##U_n= an^3 +bn^2+cn+d##
I managed to solve it...allow me to post the 4 simultaneous equations later...i finish with class...to eventually realize ##U_n= n^3 +1##

I am seeking an alternative method...cheers

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
I am seeking an alternative method...cheers
I guess you were supposed to notice that the sequence was the cubes plus one.

Likes sysprog
PeroK said:
I guess you were supposed to notice that the sequence was the cubes plus one.
Yes, that's the approach i saw...trial and error method. I would want a more solid approach...i am posting my working...give me a moment.

chwala said:
Yes, that's the approach i saw...trial and error method. I would want a more solid approach...i am posting my working...give me a moment.
There is no unique solution. If you look for a polynomial up to the 4th power (or higher) you should find more solutions.

ok, these are the equations;
##U_n= an^3 +bn^2+cn+d##
##2= a+b+c+d##
##9= 8a+4b+2c+d##
##28= 27a+9b+3c+d##
##65= 64a+16b+4c+d##
##126= 125a+25b+5c+d##

on working we get;
##7= 7a+3b+c##
##19= 19a+5b+c##

##12= 12a+2b##

##37= 37a+7b+c##
##61= 61a+9b+c##

##24= 24a+2b##

On Solving,
##a=1, b=0, c=0, d=1##
thus, ##U_n= n^3 +1##

Finding the nth term of any quadratic sequences is a bit straightforward...one just has to note that for second difference, we use ##2a=k##, where k is a constant and ##a## is the co efficient of ##n^2##. cheers! bingo!:cool:

Last edited:
PeroK said:
There is no unique solution. If you look for a polynomial up to the 4th power (or higher) you should find more solutions.
Are you implying that we have other solutions for this sequence?

chwala said:
Are you implying that we have other solutions for this sequence?
There must be an infinite number of polynomial solutions.

Likes valenumr and chwala
PeroK said:
There must be an infinite number of polynomial solutions.

For example [itex]n^3 + 1 + p(n)(n - 1)(n-2)(n-3)(n-4)(n-5)[/itex] for any polynomial [itex]p[/itex].

• Informative
Likes Keith_McClary, SammyS, chwala and 2 others

What is the nth term of a sequence?

The nth term of a sequence is the formula or rule that can be used to find any term in the sequence. It is usually expressed as an algebraic equation or a pattern of numbers.

How do I find the nth term of a sequence?

To find the nth term of a sequence, you need to first identify the pattern or rule of the sequence. Then, substitute the value of n into the formula or pattern to find the corresponding term.

What is the difference between a term and an nth term?

A term in a sequence refers to a specific number or value in the sequence, while the nth term refers to the formula or rule used to find any term in the sequence. In other words, a term is a specific value, while the nth term is a general formula.

Can I find the nth term of any sequence?

Yes, you can find the nth term of any sequence as long as there is a pattern or rule that governs the sequence. Some sequences may have more complex or abstract patterns, but there is always a way to find the nth term.

Why is it important to find the nth term of a sequence?

Finding the nth term of a sequence is important because it allows us to predict and calculate any term in the sequence without having to list out all the previous terms. It also helps us understand and analyze the pattern and behavior of the sequence.