1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the possible total energies (Quantum Physics)

1. Feb 5, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm doing problems for practice in quantum physics.
    Consider two particles of the mass m in one dimension with coordinates being denoted by x and they are
    connected by a spring with spring constant k. Suppose that the total momentum of the system is p.
    Find all possible total energies for the following cases :
    (1)two particles are different (2)two particles are identical fermions.

2. The attempt at a solution
    (1) I try to guess the answer...
    Total energy is the sum of potential and kinetic energy. Now our particles have the same mass and they are one-dimensional. Moreover, they are non-identical. Now potential energy is based on spring constant K therefore V=1/2*K*x^2 . Now considering the harmonic oscillator in classic sense total energy E= T +V
    Therefore E = P^2/2m + 1/2*mω^2*x^2.

considering energy from quantum mechanical point of view, we know P= -iℏ d/dx =p' and x=x' hamiltonian becomes, H= 1/2 p'^2/2m + 1/2*mω'^2*x^2
    now considering the particles time independent
    H'ψ(x) = Eψ(x)
    the eigenvalues of this Hamiltonian is based on En = (n+ 1/2)ℏω where ground state has non-zero energy.

(2) I have no idea how to start this problem.

Thank you for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not sure at all how to interpret this problem. My first thought was that you have two particles in a harmonic oscillator, but I suspect that is not what is intended.

I'm not sure how you can have two fermions connected by a spring. How could you attach a fermion to a spring?

Perhaps what is meant is simply to calculate the potential for a classical system of this type and then translate that to a quantum potential - based on particle repulsion and attraction, rather than a spring! - and solve the resulting Schrodinger equation.

In any case, your solution to 1), which appears to be simply a solution to a single particle SHO, cannot be correct.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  4. Feb 5, 2017 #3
    Thanks a lot.
    I upload the original problem file.

I will try to solve the problem (1).

Attached Files:

5. Feb 5, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Okay, so the question setter does believe you can attach fermions and bosons to a spring. On the face of it, the natural length of the spring should be relevant, but I think you'll just have to do the maths and see what happens.

6. Feb 5, 2017 #5

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have a two-particle system. So, you can consider the wavefunction to be a function of two position coordinates: ψ(x1, x2).

Do you know how to do a coordinate transformation which separates out the center-of-mass motion and the motion relative to the center of mass (with a reduced mass μ)?

7. Feb 8, 2017 #6
    I tried to solve this problem for two days.
    But I still do not know how to solve it...

8. Feb 8, 2017 #7

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I suggest that you change variables from ##x_1## and ##x_2## to ##X_c## and ##x##, where ##X_c## is the coordinate of the center of mass and ##x = x_2 - x_1##. This is a standard method for reducing the two-body problem to two independent one-body problems.

Hopefully you've seen this before. See the first 3 or 4 pages here: http://physics.oregonstate.edu/~corinne/COURSES/ph426/notes2.pdf

9. Feb 8, 2017 #8

Thank you so much !!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted