1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the probability of measuring a particle's energy E

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I need to use the overlap rule to find the probability that a measurement of a particle's energy at time t=0 will give the ground state E0

The normalized wave functions I have are:

$$Ψ(x,0)=\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{-ikx-ax^2}$$$$ψ_0(x)=\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{-ax^2}$$

2. Relevant equations
    The overlap integral equation I am trying to use is:
    $$p_x=\left|\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}ψ^*_0\left(x\right)Ψ\left(x,0\right)dx\right|^2$$
    I've also got the standard integrals which may help:
    $$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}dx=\sqrt{\pi}$$$$\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-x^2}e^{-ikx}dx=\sqrt{\pi}e^{-\frac {k^2}{4}}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far, I've gone through the following steps:
    $$p_x=\left|\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{+ax^2}\left(\frac{2a}{\pi}\right)^{1/4}e^{-ikx-ax^2}dx\right|^2$$$$p_x=\left|\frac {\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{+ax^2}e^{-ikx-ax^2}dx\right|^2$$$$p_x=\left|\frac {\sqrt{2a}}{\sqrt{\pi}} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ikx}dx\right|^2$$
    But that's as far as I seem to be able to get. I've either done something wrong to get to here or I'm missing something from here on. My thoughts are I need to use one of the standard integrals but I can't seem to figure out how to. Can anyone offer any advice on how to proceed with this? Thanks

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

##\psi_0## is real, so ##\psi_0^* = \psi_0##.

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3
    Thank you so much! I can't believe I didn't spot that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted