Find the rate that the distance between two projectiles is changing

In summary: You might also want to try the method above before jumping into the derivative and see if you can make it work by hand without the use of a computer.In summary, the problem asks for the rate of change of the distance between two projectiles at t = pi/2. One method involves using the distance formula, taking the derivative, and plugging in pi/2. Another method involves using vectors and dot products to simplify the calculation of the derivative. Both methods require a good understanding of the chain rule.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

The parameteric equations for the paths of two projectiles are given below. At what rate is the distance between the two objects changing at t = pi/2?

Homework Equations

x1=12cos(2t) y1 = 6sin(2t)
x2=6cos(t) y2 = 7sin(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am completely stuck. So I was thinking that I should use the distance formula

sqrt( (6cos(t) - 12cos(2t))2 + ( 7sin(t) - 6sin(2t))2))

then take the derivative of that then plug in pi/2 but that got really ugly and I think I am overcomplicating it.

I am looking for a hint here that is all. completely stuck

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
isukatphysics69 said:
I am completely stuck. So I was thinking that I should use the distance formula

sqrt( (6cos(t) - 12cos(2t))2 + ( 7sin(t) - 6sin(2t))2))

then take the derivative of that then plug in pi/2 but that got really ugly and I think I am overcomplicating it.
Why do you believe that is over complicating it?

Also, if you know the chain rule very well the derivative isn’t that bad.

Edit: ignore the deleted part (if you saw it) about the algebra trick. I tried it and it was a bad idea. Pretty beautiful, but not less complicated.

Likes isukatphysics69 and Delta2
isukatphysics69 said:
I am looking for a hint here that is all. completely stuck
Your method is fine, but there is a way that's a bit less tedious.

Let ##\vec{r}_i = x_i \hat i + y_i \hat j## and ##\vec{r} = \vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2##. The distance ##r## between the two particles is ##\| \vec{r} \|##, so you have
$$r^2 = \vec{r}\cdot\vec{r} = (\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2)\cdot(\vec{r}_1 - \vec{r}_2) = \vec{r}_1\cdot \vec{r}_1 - 2 \vec{r}_1 \cdot \vec{r}_2 + \vec{r}_2\cdot\vec{r}_2.$$ Keeping everything in terms of vectors, calculate ##d(r^2)/dt## and then evaluate the resulting expression for ##t=\pi/2##. Finally, relate ##dr/dt## to ##d(r^2)/dt##.

You might find it helpful to sketch the paths of the two particles and their locations at ##t=\pi/2##.

Likes isukatphysics69 and Delta2
@vela methods looks nice and it might save you the trouble of calculating a single complex derivative at the cost of calculating dot products and simpler derivatives instead.

I tend to agree with @Isaac0427 the derivative looks scary but it isn't so hard if you know the chain rule well.

Likes isukatphysics69

1. How do you calculate the rate of change for the distance between two projectiles?

The rate of change for the distance between two projectiles can be calculated by finding the derivative of the distance function with respect to time. This will give you the instantaneous rate of change at any given time.

2. What factors can affect the rate of change for the distance between two projectiles?

The rate of change for the distance between two projectiles can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity. These factors can alter the trajectory of the projectiles and therefore impact the rate of change of their distance.

3. Is the rate of change for the distance between two projectiles constant?

No, the rate of change for the distance between two projectiles is not constant. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above and can also change over time as the projectiles move through different points in their trajectory.

4. What can the rate of change for the distance between two projectiles tell us?

The rate of change for the distance between two projectiles can tell us the speed at which the distance between them is increasing or decreasing. It can also give us information about the motion of the projectiles and how they are interacting with each other.

5. How can knowing the rate of change for the distance between two projectiles be useful?

Knowing the rate of change for the distance between two projectiles can be useful in a variety of scenarios, such as predicting the collision of the projectiles, determining the time it takes for them to reach a certain distance from each other, and analyzing the motion and behavior of the projectiles.