1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the values of m such that the line does not touch the parabola

1. Mar 6, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

for what values of m does the line with equation y = mx - 12 not intersect or touch the parabola with equation y = 2x^2-x-10. Please show working out & explain.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

This question was asked on openstudy and there hasn't been an answer to it yet. It's been 5 years since I've taking algebra and pre-calc, so there's certain things I don't remember how to do such as this question.

Would anyone know how to approach this? I'm just extremely curious :-)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

At a point, (x,y), where the two graphs intersect, the x and y values must be the same- that is, there exist a value of x such that [itex]y= 2x^2- x- 10= mx- 12[/itex]. That's a quadratic equation, it reduces to [itex]2x^2- (1-m)x+ 2= 0[/itex], and so has either 2 real roots (the line crosses the parabola), 1 double root (the line is tangent to the parabola), of no real roots (the line does not touch the parabola). Use the quadratic formula to determine what m must be so that equation has no real roots.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook