1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find units of rate constants and write reactions

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the units of k1, k2, k3, k4, and k5. Write rate reactions for dA/dt

a. A[itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex]B
    k1 (forward)
    k2 (backward)

b. A + B [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] C
    k3 (forward)

c. A + R [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 2R
    k4 (forward)

d. A [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] B
    k5 (forward)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = k1[A] - k2
    units of k1 & k2 are in s[itex]^{-1}[/itex]
    b. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = -k3[C]
    units of k3 are in L/mol*s
    c. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = -k4[R]^2
    units of k4 are in L/mol*s
    d. [itex]\frac{d[A]}{dt}[/itex] = -k5
    units of k5 are in s[itex]^{-1}[/itex]

Are these correct? I'm a little confused since the problem specified finding dA/dt rather than each of the products. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks all OK to me.

Except for first order I never remember the units of the top of my head. But you shouldn't be confused, it is quite easy:

[A] means moles.litre-1.

/dt is s-1

on the RHS, [A] is moles.litre-1.
    [A]2 is moles2.litre-2
    [A]ab[C]c... is molesa+b+c+....litre-(a+b+c+...)

So e.g. for a 2nd-order reaction like b

moles.litre-1.s-1 = k x moles2.litre-2

Isolate k by dividing both sides by moles2.litre-2 and after any cancellations you have it.

Do they insist nowadays, mnyah mnyah, you write out the cumbrous moles.litre-1 etc?

M used to be good enough. Or rather, better.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I would expect different signs for all "k", but that is probably just a convention issue.

At b, why does the change of A depend on C (and not on A and B), if C does not react at all? The same applies to c and d.
    At b, how can you get units different from your answers at (a) and (d)?

5. Mar 14, 2013 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It doesn't depend on C.

Sorry I read your answer for the units which were all correct, not your equation which is not right. The answer for the units is right for b, c and d somehow, but your equations for those are wrong.

I happen to have written a post recently about how simple it is to write the rate equations for a given mechanism.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=4304238&postcount=16

Rate constants are always positive.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  6. Mar 14, 2013 #5
    Thanks for all the help! So, my equations are incorrect for b, c, d? I'm not sure how to write the reaction in terms of dA/dt, then. I know how to write them for dC/dt or dProduct/dt, but not for a reactant.

7. Mar 14, 2013 #6
    Wait a minute...
    Am I just being an idiot?

Would
    (b) simply be d[A]/dt = k3[A]

(c) d[A]/dt = k4[A][R]
    actually I'm the most unsure about this one because of the 2R in the product. Would the rate be halved?

(d) d[A]/dt = k5[A]?

8. Mar 14, 2013 #7

mfb

2016 Award

As A decreases in the reaction and the k-factors are always positive, those equations should have a minus sign. Apart from that, they are correct.
    The reaction product (as long as it is not A) does not matter, even in case of (c). The amount of R will change in a more complicated way, of course.

9. Mar 14, 2013 #8
    Awesome! Thank you so much

10. Mar 14, 2013 #9
    Another quick question: Are my units correct as epenguin said?

11. Mar 14, 2013 #10

mfb

2016 Award

With the fixed equation in (b), they are all correct now.

12. Mar 14, 2013 #11

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Given conservation of mass, or better, given that in b one molecule of A generates one of C what is the relation of dC/dt to dA/dt? Etc.

If you don't have a doh! moment read through the first page or so of whatever book chapter your course is using.

I initially thought your problems were with the dimensions or units, it did not occur to me that anyone would have a difficulty with formulating the equations so I did not even look at yours. (However their derivation is explained in the link I gave in last post.) In the same way I missed that your a is also wrong! - make it -d[A]/dt on the left. A is disappearing by reacting, the more A there is the faster it disappears! After you have corrected that, you have a correct first stage. But a second stage, for a more useful equation, is to express all in terms of A, without B appearing in the equation. Using the idea of my 1st line above.

13. Mar 14, 2013 #12

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

b, c and d not quite, see my last post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted