Find velocity of rocket that obtains more gas from gas cloud

In summary, the student attempted to solve a rocket equation but failed due to lack of understanding of the situation and poor notation.
Scronin267

Homework Statement

To solve this problem you will need to construct a differential equation. A picture of the situation will help. Ignore all gravitational forces. A Rocket ship of structural mass M and fuel mass m, begins at rest relative to a gas cloud. The ship burns fuel at the rate ω which is exhausted with speed v relative to the ship. The ship obtains pure fuel from the gas cloud at the rate 2ω.
Find the velocity of the ship as a function of time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

All I can think of is using momentum... P initial = 0, but I do not now how to construct the equation for P final.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to make a better attempt. Perhaps do some research on the rocket equation and its derivation first so that you can at least prepare a credible list of relevant equations.

I am having a hard time describing this situation, and getting proper cancelations\simplifications.
To start we need to find an equation describing the momentum... I think. This would look like.
P = P_ship + P_exhausted fuel + P_gas cloud = 0
P_ship = (M_total)(v+dv)
P_exhausted = (v_ship - v_fuel)(dm_exhausted)
P_gas cloud = (v_ship)dm_intake
we also know that the fuel m = m_o+2ω-ω=m_o+ω
Using this information I am unable to get a differential equation that has an meaning.

Scronin267 said:
I am having a hard time describing this situation, and getting proper cancelations\simplifications.
To start we need to find an equation describing the momentum... I think. This would look like.
P = P_ship + P_exhausted fuel + P_gas cloud = 0
P_ship = (M_total)(v+dv)
P_exhausted = (v_ship - v_fuel)(dm_exhausted)
P_gas cloud = (v_ship)dm_intake
we also know that the fuel m = m_o+2ω-ω=m_o+ω
Using this information I am unable to get a differential equation that has an meaning.
You need to be more systematic in the analysis, using differentials everywhere that is appropriate.
In time dt, let the ship change speed from u to u+du.
What mass of fuel did it burn in that time? What was the exhaust speed of that fuel relative to the gas cloud? What momentum did it take with it?
What mass of new fuel did it take on?
What is the new momentum of the ship plus its load of fuel? What was the momentum change in time dt?
What equation can you now write?

1. How does a rocket obtain gas from a gas cloud?

A rocket obtains gas from a gas cloud by using a system called a gas scoop. The gas scoop collects and compresses the gas from the cloud, which is then used as fuel for the rocket's engines.

2. What factors affect the velocity of a rocket obtaining gas from a gas cloud?

The velocity of a rocket obtaining gas from a gas cloud is affected by the density of the gas cloud, the size of the gas scoop, and the efficiency of the rocket's engines.

3. Can a rocket's velocity increase if it obtains more gas from a gas cloud?

Yes, a rocket's velocity can increase if it obtains more gas from a gas cloud. This is because the additional fuel provides more thrust for the rocket's engines, allowing it to accelerate faster.

4. Are there any risks associated with obtaining gas from a gas cloud for a rocket?

One potential risk is encountering a gas cloud with high levels of radiation or toxic chemicals, which could damage the rocket or harm the crew. There is also a risk of the gas scoop malfunctioning, which could affect the rocket's fuel supply.

5. How can scientists accurately measure the velocity of a rocket obtaining gas from a gas cloud?

Scientists can measure the velocity of a rocket obtaining gas from a gas cloud by using instruments such as radar, lidar, and Doppler sensors. These instruments use the principles of reflection and frequency changes to calculate the speed of the rocket.