1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find Wave Function given <x>, sigmax, <p>

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Come up with a wave function Psi[x] that satisfies the given known values:
    sigma x = 1
    <p> = h bar

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So far I have this equation, which satisfies <x>, <p>, but not sigma x.
    1/[Pi]^(1/4) E^(i (x + 2)) E^(-(1/2) (x + 1)^2)
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2
    What does sigma x refer to?
  4. Sep 18, 2008 #3
    Sigma x is the standard deviation of x.
  5. Sep 18, 2008 #4
    Remember that the standard deviation of a gaussian is controlled by dividing the x^2 term by sigma^2.
  6. Sep 18, 2008 #5
    Try looking at the below wikipedia article on Gaussian or Normal distributions for a good way to create a wavepacket with a given uncertainty ([tex]\sigma_x[/tex]) and position [tex]\langle x\rangle[/tex].

This wikipedia link should give an adequate definition:
  7. Sep 18, 2008 #6
    For some reason, I just can't find the function.

I don't know how I could make a wave function that could possibly have a standard distribution of 1 and an expected value of -1, graphically.
  8. Sep 18, 2008 #7
    A Gaussian wavefunction has the form
    [tex] A\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x - x_0\right)^2}{2\sigma^2}\right)[/tex]
    where A is the normalization, [tex]x_0[/tex] is the center of the Gaussian, and [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the standard deviation.

Try calculating
    [tex]\sigma = \sqrt{\langle x^2\rangle - \langle x\rangle^2}[/tex] to convince yourself of this property of Gaussians and then see if you can put the momentum part into the total wavefunction.
  9. Sep 18, 2008 #8
    I have tried this, the only problem is that the function must also have the momentum, -h bar, which requires another exponential term, exp(-i x).

Also, sigma^2 would be 1, and that would have the form A * exp^(-i x)*exp^((-(x+1)^2)/2) where A = 1/ pi^(1/4)

Because of the first exponential function, exp^(-i x), the standard deviation becomes 1/rad(2).

How can I get around this?
  10. Sep 18, 2008 #9
    I'm unsure how you're getting the standard deviation to be [tex]1/\sqrt{2}[/tex] because of the complex exponential part. I'm assuming rad(2) is the square root.

Don't forget that to calculate the expectation value you use the complex conjugate on the left, e.g.
    [tex]\langle x \rangle = \int \psi^{*}\left(x\right)x\psi\left(x\right)\,dx[/tex].
    So the complex exponential times its complex conjugate should just give 1 inside the integral and not affect the expectation value of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]x^2[/tex].

One more thing to consider, when you multiply two Gaussians together you get another Gaussian:

[tex]A\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x-x_0\right)^2}{2\sigma^2}\right) * A\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x-x_0\right^2}{2\sigma^2}\right) = A^2\exp\left(-\frac{\left(x - x_0\right)^2}{\sigma^2}\right)[/tex]
    This about this relates the standard deviation of [tex]\psi\left(x\right)[/tex] to [tex]\psi^{*}\left(x\right)\psi\left(x\right)[/tex].
  11. Sep 18, 2008 #10
    Yeah, that's how I've been getting <x>.

It must the be exp^(i x) that's causing the problems. The x in the exponent must be messing something up.

How can I get around this?
  12. Sep 18, 2008 #11
    I'm pretty sure the complex exponential should cancel in the calculation of the x and x^2 expectation values.

Remember what I mentioned about the product of Gaussians. This means that while the standard deviation of [tex]\psi\left(x\right)[/tex] might be [tex]\sigma[/tex] the standard deviation of [tex]|\psi\left(x\right)|^2[/tex] will be [tex]\sigma/\sqrt{2}[/tex]...
  13. Sep 18, 2008 #12
    Well, sigma x comes out to 1/rad(2) for the sqrt((integral from -inf to +inf of Psi* x^2 Psi) - (integral from -inf to +inf of Psi* x Psi)^2).

How would I change the wave function to make sigma x = 1 then?
  14. Sep 18, 2008 #13
    Try changing the value of [tex]sigma[/tex] in the Gaussian part of the wavefunction and see how that changes what you calculate [tex]\sigma_x[/tex]. See if can figure it out own your own exactly what you need to change then.
    Also, remember the correct normalization of a Gaussian involves [tex]\sigma[/tex] as well. It should be in the wikipedia article.
  15. Sep 18, 2008 #14
    Oh that's awesome. Thanks, I changed 1/2 to 1/4 and then renormalized the wave function, and everything works perfectly.

Thanks a lot.
  16. Sep 18, 2008 #15
    Glad I could help :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?