Find |z| & z-1 with Z = 5+2i

• Thread starter alpha01
  • Start date
In summary, to find the absolute value of a complex number z, you can use the formula |z|^2=z\bar z=a^2+b^2. To find the inverse of a complex number z, you can use the formula z^{-1}=\frac{a-ib}{a^2+b^2}. In this case, z = 5+2i, so |z| = sqrt(5^2+2^2) = sqrt(29) and z^{-1} = \frac{5-2i}{29}.
alpha01
we have z = 5+2i

how do i find the following:

|z|
z-1

i can do the basic operations (x, /, +, -) with complex numbers but i have no idea where to even start with these 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
For a complex number z=a+ib, the conjugate is defined as [itex]\bar z=a-ib[/itex]. |z| is the absolute value of z, the distance of z to the origin in the complex plane, and can be calculated as [itex]|z|^2=z\bar z=a^2+b^2[/itex]. [itex]z^{-1}[/itex] is the inverse of z, defined by the property that [itex]zz^{-1}=1[/itex], so [itex]z^{-1}=\frac{a-ib}{a^2+b^2}[/itex]

set z=a+bi, then |z|=sqrt(a*a+b*b)...then you can do the first one.
for the second one, it is 1/z.
1/z=1/(5+2i)=(5-2i)/29

What is the value of |z|?

The value of |z| is the modulus or absolute value of the complex number z. It is calculated by taking the square root of the sum of the squares of the real and imaginary parts of z. In this case, |z| = √(5² + 2²) = √29 ≈ 5.385

What is the value of z-1?

The value of z-1 is the complex number obtained by subtracting 1 from the real part of z. In this case, z-1 = (5-1) + 2i = 4+2i.

What is the real part of z?

The real part of z is the number that is added to the imaginary number to form the complex number. In this case, the real part of z is 5.

What is the imaginary part of z?

The imaginary part of z is the coefficient of the imaginary unit i. In this case, the imaginary part of z is 2.

How do you graph the complex number z = 5+2i on a complex plane?

To graph a complex number on a complex plane, plot the real part on the horizontal axis and the imaginary part on the vertical axis. In this case, we would plot the point (5,2) on the complex plane.