Finding √3 using a graph of x² - 2x - 3 and a straight line

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
mathlearn
Messages
331
Reaction score
0
There is a graph in the form of $x^2-2x-3$ determine the value of $\sqrt{3}$ to the nearest decimal place by drawing an a suitable straight line

What must be that straight line ? Usually these kind of problems are solved using the quadratic equation

Many thanks :)
 
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Here is the desmos graph including both the parabola and the line

[graph]z2xkzb3xja[/graph]

Looking at the line $y=-2x$ I cannot exactly see what has it got to do with determining $\sqrt{3}$ to the nearest whole number

Many Thanks :)
 
Where do the parabola and line intersect?
 
MarkFL said:
Where do the parabola and line intersect?

Wow (Clapping) they intersect at -1.7 and 1.7.

What was the method used to determine the line?

Many Thanks (Smile)
 
I can't speak for greg1313 and MarkFL but what I would do is note that, if we take equation y= ax+ b, that line and the given quadratic will intersect where [math]x^2- 2x- 3= ax+ b[/math] so that [math]x^2- (2+ a)x- (3+ b)= 0[/math]. If [tex]\sqrt{3}[/tex] is a root then, in order that the coefficients be integers, [tex]-\sqrt{3}[/tex] must also be so that we must have [tex](\sqrt{3})^3- (2+ b)\sqrt{3}- (3+ b)= 3- (2+ a)\sqrt{3}- 3- b= -(2+a)\sqrt{3}- b= 0[/tex] and [tex](-\sqrt{3})^2- (2+ b)(-\sqrt{3})- 3- b= 3+ (2+ b)\sqrt{3}- 3- b= (2+a)\sqrt{3}- b= 0[/tex]. Adding those two equations, the "a" terms cancel giving -b= 0 so b= 0. Then we have [tex]-(2+ a)\sqrt{3}= 0[/tex] so that 2+ a= 0 and a= -2.
 
Mathematics is a science and experimentation is a valuable tool. The first thing I did was to substitute $\sqrt3$ for $x$ in the given quadratic and observe the results. Get your hands dirty!
 
greg1313 said:
Mathematics is a science and experimentation is a valuable tool. The first thing I did was to substitute $\sqrt3$ for $x$ in the given quadratic and observe the results. Get your hands dirty!

Yes agreed :) By substitution I guess what was implied was replacing all x terms by $\sqrt{3}$

$x^2-2x-3$

$\sqrt{3}^2-2\sqrt{3}-3$

$3-2\sqrt{3}-3$

$-2\sqrt{3}=0=y$

And what possibly went wrong?

Many thanks :)
 
Last edited: