Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Finding a function for the parabola

1. Apr 28, 2010 #1
    Note: I don't need any answer, all I want to know is whether this question is possible.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "What is the function of the parabola which has the points (1, 1) (2, 2) and (3, 3)?"
    I just asked my teacher to get the question, It's not stated in my text book.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    No idea! I don't get more than a linear function.

- - - - -

Thanks...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

While the points look linear, sub the points into y=ax2+bx+c. You'll get three equations with three unknowns.

4. Apr 28, 2010 #3
    I did this and it turns out kinda ugly. I got 0 for the coefficient of the squared term (well, [tex]1.5x 10^{-14}[/tex] )I got 1 for the coefficient of the x term; and I got [tex]3x10^{-14}[/tex] for the constant. Looks pretty linear there...although not EXACTLY linear...but I may have made a mistake.

EDIT: I started this by hand and it got ugly quick. I used my TI89 with the rref function and that's what it got. Those points are in a line...it's difficult to force the quadratic on it because they are so close together. One could plug those coefficients into the [tex]Ax^2+Bx+C=0[/tex]
    formula and complete the square...It's REALLY close to linear...and the thing could open up or down...those points are too close together and linear to really make sense of....as far as I can tell...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. Apr 28, 2010 #4
    At first it seemed very complicated, but when I uncovered the trick It was so easy.
    Yes, I know that it's not possible to write a second-degree equation for a linear graph, therefore I had to use 'limit' as a positive integer 'n' approaching 0.
    Thanks for the answers.

6. Apr 29, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

??? An integer can't "approach" 0!

7. Apr 29, 2010 #6
    Sorry, I just meant a positive rational number.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook