Arriving at parabola formula via distance formula

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the standard equation for a vertical parabola with a given vertex and focal length. It is suggested to use the Distance Formula, but the resulting formula is not correct. The correct formula is (x - h)^2 = 4p(y - k). The conversation also discusses the relationship between points on the parabola and the directrix, and how it relates to the focal length.
ducmod

Homework Statement

Hello!

Please, help me to get through equations. I can't derive the equation in the way suggested.

Here is the definition:
If we choose to place the vertex at an arbitrary point (h; k), we arrive at the following formula
re-deriving the formula from Denition 7.3. (If the vertex is at (0;0), then from the definition of parabola,
we know the distance from focus point (0; p) to a point (x; y) is the same as the distance from a point
on directrix (x;-p) to the same point (x; y)).
Using the Distance Formula we get:
The Standard Equation of a Vertical Parabola: The equation of a (vertical) parabola with vertex (h; k) and
focal length |p| is
(x - h)^2 = 4p(y - k)
If p > 0, the parabola opens upwards; if p < 0, it opens downwards.

So, if vertex is at (h, k) and there is a given point on a parabola at (x; y), then focus is at (h; k + p),
and point of a directrix is at (x; k - p).

Thus the distance formula should be (I am dropping the square root):
(x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = (y - k + p)^2

How did they come to (x - h)^2 = 4p(y - k) ?

Thank you!

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try subtracting (y-k)^2 from both sides, expanding the RHS, and grouping terms?

Simon Bridge said:
Did you try subtracting (y-k)^2 from both sides, expanding the RHS, and grouping terms?
I did, but didn't arrive at the correct outcome. Your question implies that I have to give it another try )

Well it just means that I don't know what you've tried ... go over it more carefully - double check your starting point.
If P is a point on the parabola and D is the corresponding point on the directrix, then a parabola with focal point F has: |PF| = |PD|
From what you've written; P=(x,y), D=(x,k-p), F=(h,k+p) ...

ducmod said:
Thus the distance formula should be (I am dropping the square root):
(x - h)^2 + (y - k)^2 = (y - k + p)^2
The LHS is not what you want.

Likes Simon Bridge

1. How is the parabola formula derived from the distance formula?

The parabola formula is derived from the distance formula by setting the distance between a point (x,y) on the parabola and the focus (h,k) equal to the distance between the point and the directrix y = -k. This results in the equation (x-h)^2 = 4p(y-k), where p is the distance between the focus and the directrix.

2. What is the relationship between the distance formula and the parabola formula?

The distance formula and the parabola formula are closely related as the latter is derived from the former. The distance formula is used to find the distance between two points in a coordinate plane, while the parabola formula is used to plot the shape of a parabola based on its focus and directrix.

3. How does the distance between the focus and the directrix affect the shape of the parabola?

The distance between the focus and the directrix, denoted as p, determines the size and orientation of the parabola. A larger value of p will result in a wider and shallower parabola, while a smaller value of p will result in a narrower and steeper parabola.

4. Can the parabola formula be used to find the distance between two points on the parabola?

Yes, the parabola formula can be rearranged to find the distance between two points on the parabola. By setting the equation equal to the distance formula and solving for d, the distance between two points (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) can be calculated as d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2).

5. Are there any real-world applications of the parabola formula derived from the distance formula?

Yes, the parabola formula has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, the trajectory of a projectile can be modeled using the parabola formula, and the shape of a parabolic satellite dish is also based on this formula. It is also used in optics to determine the shape of lenses and mirrors.