Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a number that can divide evenly into another number?

1. Jan 23, 2015 #1
    when you have two numbers and you need find a number can can divide evenly into both is there an easy method to do this

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Are you thinking of the greatest common denominator?

4. Jan 23, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are some rules which can lessen the amount of work involved:
    1. Even numbers are all evenly divisible by 2.
    2. Numbers ending in 0 or 5 are also divisible by 5 or multiples of 5.
    3. If the sum of the digits in a number can be divided evenly by 3, then the original number can also be divided by 3. For example, if n = 522, then 5 + 2 + 2 = 9, which is divisible by 3 evenly; therefore 522 is also evenly divisible by 3. (522/3 = 174)

5. Jan 23, 2015 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

6. Jan 24, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since there are no fractions involved here, you must mean "greatest common divisor". In fact there is no "greatest common denominator" for a set of fractions- there is the "least common denominator" which is a number into which all the denominators will divide.

7. Jan 24, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you are right. I was thinking GCD and my memory brought up the wrong term. Thanks for the correction. I should have added a reference and then I would have caught my mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook