1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding a number that can divide evenly into another number?

1. Jan 23, 2015 #1
    when you have two numbers and you need find a number can can divide evenly into both is there an easy method to do this

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 23, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Are you thinking of the greatest common denominator?

4. Jan 23, 2015 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There are some rules which can lessen the amount of work involved:
    1. Even numbers are all evenly divisible by 2.
    2. Numbers ending in 0 or 5 are also divisible by 5 or multiples of 5.
    3. If the sum of the digits in a number can be divided evenly by 3, then the original number can also be divided by 3. For example, if n = 522, then 5 + 2 + 2 = 9, which is divisible by 3 evenly; therefore 522 is also evenly divisible by 3. (522/3 = 174)

5. Jan 23, 2015 #4

lurflurf

Homework Helper

6. Jan 24, 2015 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Since there are no fractions involved here, you must mean "greatest common divisor". In fact there is no "greatest common denominator" for a set of fractions- there is the "least common denominator" which is a number into which all the denominators will divide.

7. Jan 24, 2015 #6

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Yes, you are right. I was thinking GCD and my memory brought up the wrong term. Thanks for the correction. I should have added a reference and then I would have caught my mistake.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook