1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding acceleration of a skier on parabola

1. Feb 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A skier travels with a constant speed of 6 m/s along a parabolic path y= x2/20. Find the acceleration of the skier when he is at (10,5). Neglect the size of skier.

2. Relevant equations
    dy/dx is slope of parabola.
    In a straight line if body has distance covered=x, then velocity (v) = dx/dt and acceleration = dv/dt
    Radial acceleration is v2/R where R is radius.
    3. The attempt at a solution

Slope is 2x/20= x/10.
    For straight line determining acceleration is easy but how about this curve case?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For a straight line it is indeed very easy: constant speed means zero acceleration !
    For a curved trajectory I would think the tangential acceleration at constant speed is zero, so I agree your v2/R is the right answer for this exercise. v is known, so all that remains is to find R at (10,5). We need some equation for that. Any ideas ?

4. Feb 9, 2015 #3
    I saw a unusual formula. From where it has come I don't know.
    Can you help on that?
    ##\frac{1}{R}## =##\frac{d^2y/dx^2}{[1+(dy/dx)^2]^{3/2}}##

5. Feb 9, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can help on where it comes from: a simple google search brings us here :)

6. Feb 9, 2015 #5
    Thanks, But in the link only formula is given with some description.
    Can you provide a derivation of it by some link or by yourself?

7. Feb 9, 2015 #6

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes. Google "radius of curvature equation derivation" and end up here or here. :) I like the second one.

8. Feb 9, 2015 #7
    I also liked the second link.:) Gave the derivation in a nice way. Now the question could be solved by plugging in values in formula .
    Only one question that remains is that how according to second link you have provided Curvature or kappa is inverse of radius?

9. Feb 9, 2015 #8

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Curvature is the better word, I suppose. We associate radius with a circle. They show k = 1/R on page 5.

10. Feb 9, 2015 #9

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can solve the problem by yourself, by applying the chain rule.
    The equation of the path is given, y=x2/20
    You know that the components of the velocity are the time-derivatives of the coordinates. vx=dx/dt, vy=dy/dt. Apply chain rule to find vy in terms of vx: vy=2x/20 dx/dt = x/10 vx.
    The magnitude of the velocity is given |v|=6, so vx2+vy2=36. Find vx in terms of x from here.
    Once you know vx and vy , apply the chain rule again to derive the components of acceleration. Substitute the given coordinates and find the magnitude.

11. Feb 9, 2015 #10
    Thanks BvU for giving wonderful link for derivation of curvature by differential geometry.

Thanks ehild for showing me another way.
    Though it is a lengthy method comparing with curvature formula
    but is elegant because I think many do not know the curvature formula by differential geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted