Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Anti-commuting Complex structures

1. Jul 23, 2012 #1
    Say we complex structure J on a space with even dimension. Is there a trick to finding another complex stucture I that anti-commutes with J?

Moreover I'm that these be integrable complex structres. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2012 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Suppose I, J are complex structures and

IJ = -JI

i.e., they anticommute. Then

[tex](IJ)^2 = (IJ)(IJ) = -(IJ)(JI) = + I^2 = -1[/tex]
    and hence (IJ) is also a complex structure. Call it K. It is not too hard to verify that these 3 complex structures satisfy the quaternion algebra,

[tex]IJ = K, \qquad JK = I, \qquad KI = J, \qquad I^2 = J^2 = K^2 = IJK = -1[/tex]
    Such a manifold is called hyper-Kaehler and must be of dimension 4n. A hyper-Kaehler manifold has holonomy Sp(n). In 4 real dimensions (i.e., n = 1), we have Sp(1) = SU(2). In general, Sp(n) is a subgroup of SU(2n). Hence all hyper-Kaehler manifolds are Calabi-Yau.

So, in order for such a triplet of complex structures to exist, it is at least necessary that the Ricci form vanish. In 4 real dimensions, this condition is also sufficient.

Suppose we're only interested in 4 dimensions. Define the orientation such that the Kaehler form J is anti-self-dual. Then I and K are also anti-self-dual, and orthogonal to J. That is, I, J, and K span the space [itex]\Lambda^2_- (M)[/itex]. So if you are given one of the complex structures, you can work out the others algebraically.

4. Jul 24, 2012 #3
    Well, I understood up to hyperkahler manifolds..

I'm participating in an REU and I think I'm venturing too far from my knowledge. Either way thank you for your explanations!

5. Jul 24, 2012 #4

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, well the general result is:

If two complex structures I, J exist and they anticommute, this implies that a third complex structure K = IJ exists, such that I, J, K are a representation of the unit quaternions. A manifold that has this structure is called "hyper-Kahler".

Only certain manifolds have this property, since it requires, among other things, that the Ricci tensor vanish. So you won't be able to find two anticommuting complex structures in general.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook