Understanding Complex Operators: Rules, Boundedness, and Positivity

In summary, the conversation discusses the rules for operators, boundedness, positivity, and the definition of the spectrum with regards to real and complex operators. The discussion also touches on the definition of boundedness and the meaning of an operator being unbounded when acting on a function defined in a complex interval. The conversation also brings up the question of whether there are specific rules for complex operators and the definition of a complex operator as an operation with complex coefficients.
SemM
Gold Member
Hi, from the books I have, it appears that some rules for operators, boundedness, positivity and possibly the definition of the spectrum regard real operators, and not complex operators.

From the complex operator ##i\hbar d^3/dx^3 ## it appears that it can be defined as not bounded (unbounded) by the conventional rule of

\begin{equation}
||H_s\psi|| \leqslant c||\psi||
\end{equation}

where the interval n, defined for which a trial function exists in an imaginary plane. So for this operator to be unbounded and not satisfy the eqn above, the limits of the integral must have an imaginary value. Then, one gets\begin{equation}
||H_s\psi|| \geqslant c||\psi||
\end{equation}

So one cannot say if that operator is bounded at all, using that regular rule.

Is there any particular geometrical meaning in saying that an operator is unbounded only when it acts on a function defined in a complex interval?

Are there particular rules for complex operators, as all operators defined in the literature I have here are real?

Physics news on Phys.org
SemM said:
Hi, from the books I have, it appears that some rules for operators, boundedness, positivity and possibly the definition of the spectrum regard real operators, and not complex operators.

From the complex operator ##i\hbar d^3/dx^3 ## it appears that it can be defined as not bounded (unbounded) by the conventional rule of

\begin{equation}
||H_s\psi|| \leqslant c||\psi||
\end{equation}
You're mixing up the terminology. An operator on a particular region of the complex plane is either bounded or it's unbounded. You don't define it to be either bounded or unbounded. And what you're calling "the conventional rule" is the definition of boundedness.

Also, what is s in the operator ##H_s##?

SemM said:
where the interval n, defined for which a trial function exists in an imaginary plane. So for this operator to be unbounded and not satisfy the eqn above, the limits of the integral must have an imaginary value.
I'm not sure this makes any sense at all.
SemM said:
Then, one gets
\begin{equation}
||H_s\psi|| \geqslant c||\psi||
\end{equation}
Not quite. If this operator is unbounded, the inequality would be ## ||H_s\psi|| > c||\psi||##.
As you wrote the inequalities, if ## ||H_s\psi|| = c||\psi||##, the operator would be both bounded and unbounded.
SemM said:
So one cannot say if that operator is bounded at all, using that regular rule.

Is there any particular geometrical meaning in saying that an operator is unbounded only when it acts on a function defined in a complex interval?

Are there particular rules for complex operators, as all operators defined in the literature I have here are real?

Mark44 said:
You're mixing up the terminology. An operator on a particular region of the complex plane is either bounded or it's unbounded. You don't define it to be either bounded or unbounded. And what you're calling "the conventional rule" is the definition of boundedness.

Also, what is s in the operator ##H_s##?

I'm not sure this makes any sense at all.
Not quite. If this operator is unbounded, the inequality would be ## ||H_s\psi|| > c||\psi||##.
As you wrote the inequalities, if ## ||H_s\psi|| = c||\psi||##, the operator would be both bounded and unbounded.
Hi Mark, the operator is:

\begin{equation}
H_s= i\hbar^3\frac{d^3}{dx^3} - x^2
\end{equation}

Note that one can split them up into\begin{equation}
H_{s-a}= i\hbar^3\frac{d^3}{dx^3}
\end{equation}

and\begin{equation}
H_{s-b}= -x^2
\end{equation}

and one can treat them individually in the formula for boundedness.

So I am not sure here, as the former gives non-real values, unless n in the interval is purely imaginary, thus the strange point on the "imaginary interval".

In order to begin to make sense of this thread, we have to know the precise definition of "complex operator" that you are using.

George Jones said:
In order to begin to make sense of this thread, we have to know the precise definition of "complex operator" that you are using.
George, it is given above.

SemM said:
the operator is: ##H_s= i\hbar^3\frac{d^3}{dx^3} - x^2##
Again, what's the significance of s in this equation?

Mark44 said:
Again, what's the significance of s in this equation?

It's none, it's just a notation to define it.

I tested the function ##cos(n\pi x)## in the interval ##0-2\pi##

SemM said:
George, it is given above.

I don't see it. Can you please quote the relevant portion of a post in which you give the precise definition of what the general term "complex operator" means. Note that I am not asking for what you consider to be specific examples of complex operators, I am asking for the general definition of a complex operator.

George Jones said:
I don't see it. Can you please quote the relevant portion of a post in which you give the precise definition of what the general term "complex operator" means. Note that I am not asking for what you consider to be specific examples of complex operators, I am asking for the general definition of a complex operator.

George, it's an operation which is allowed to have complex coefficients, like ##H_s## has above, in its first part. I don't know much about this form of operators, however, I am aware of that they are supposed to act on holomorphic functions, which are not necessarily smooth. Otherwise, I am trying to find whether ##H_s## is bounded or not...

I am sorry, but it is completely unclear what you mean as you do not seem to be using standard nomenclature. Whether or not you can multiply an operator by a complex number or not depends on the vector space it acts on. If the vector space is a vector space over ##\mathbb C##, then multiplication by a complex number is well defined. This has nothing to do with whether the vector space is a function space or not.

If you have a norm in order to talk about bounded operators, it is obvious that ##i H## is a bounded operator if ##H## is a bounded operator as ##\newcommand{\norm}[1]{\left|\left| #1 \right|\right|} \norm{iH \psi} = \lvert i \rvert \norm{H\psi} = \norm{H\psi}## for all elements ##\psi## in the vector space.

Likes SemM

1. What are complex operators?

Complex operators are mathematical tools used to manipulate complex numbers. They consist of both a real and imaginary component and can perform operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. What are the rules for using complex operators?

The rules for using complex operators depend on the specific operation being performed. However, some general rules include:

• When adding or subtracting complex numbers, the real and imaginary components are added or subtracted separately.
  • When multiplying or dividing complex numbers, the real and imaginary components are multiplied or divided using the FOIL method.
  • When dividing by a complex number, multiply both the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate to eliminate the imaginary component in the denominator.

3. How do I know if a complex operator is bounded?

A complex operator is considered bounded if its output remains within a certain range or magnitude. For example, if the output of a complex operator always falls between 0 and 10, it is considered bounded. To determine if a complex operator is bounded, you can plot its output on a graph and see if it remains within a specific range or observe its behavior as the input values increase.

4. What is the importance of positivity in complex operators?

Positivity is important in complex operators because it ensures that the output of the operator remains within a positive range. If a complex operator is not positive, it can produce negative or complex values, which can lead to errors in calculations or interpretations of results.

5. How are complex operators used in real-world applications?

Complex operators are used in a variety of real-world applications, including engineering, physics, and signal processing. They are often used to analyze and manipulate complex systems, such as electrical circuits or quantum systems. They are also used in the study of waves and oscillations, as well as in data analysis and modeling.