Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding anything smaller than quarks or what quarks are made of?

1. Aug 14, 2006 #1
    Are we even near finding anything smaller than quarks or what quarks are made of?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2006 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

At the present time quarks are considered "fundamental", ie. the smallest quarks (up and down) don't decay into anything else, although they do transform into each other.

Smaller than quarks are various leptons, such as electrons and neutrinoes.

4. Aug 14, 2006 #3
    Whats the smallest out of those(leptons, neutrinoes, and electrons)? Or are they too small to compare?

5. Aug 14, 2006 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

In terms of spatial size, the quarks and leptons are all considered to be pointlike particles in the Standard Model, so one can't say that any of them is the "smallest."

In terms of mass, the neutrinos are the "smallest" of the leptons, followed in order by electrons, muons and taus.

6. Aug 16, 2006 #5
    I know theres something that is smallest because it would eventually be nothing if there wasnt a limit. Unless negative mass is what I think it is, then there would be no limit to how small something could get. Is negative mass what Im thinking it is? Please explain negative mass.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  7. Aug 20, 2006 #6
    I thought negative mass actually meant like twice as small than positive mass, sorry yall. So neutrinoes, quarks, and the like are the smallest, thanks yall.

8. Aug 22, 2006 #7
    I just read that preons are sub quark particles. Is this true, are preons smaller than quarks?

9. Aug 22, 2006 #8

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Preons are hypothetical particles which would be constituents of quarks and leptons. However there is no experimental evidence to support the theory. You can get a detailed history of the this theory from wikipedia.

10. Aug 25, 2006 #9
    I just read that microtalentons are smaller than neutrinoes, is this true? What the heck are microtalentons?

11. Aug 26, 2006 #10

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ha ha ha, you made me look.

Carl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?