Finding average resistive force

In summary, the problem involves a 70-kg diver dropping from a 10-m tower and coming to rest 5.0 m beneath the surface of the water. The equation (KE + PEg + PEs)i = (KE + PEg + PEs)f can be used to solve the problem. The diver's KE when he hits the water and when he comes to a stop must be calculated, and the work done in stopping him can also be calculated using the equation for work.
jman1209
I really need help with this!

Homework Statement

A 70-kg diver steps off a 10-m tower and drops from rest strait down into the water. If he comes to rest 5.0 m beneath the surface, determine the average resistive force exerted on him by the water.

Homework Equations

This is the only equation that I know goes with this problem:
(KE + PEg + PEs)i = (KE + PEg + PEs)f

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't get anywhere with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the diver's KE when he hits the water? What's his KE when he comes to a stop? How much work was done stopping him? How do you calculate work?

1. What is resistive force?

Resistive force is a physical force that opposes the motion of an object. It is caused by the interaction between the object and its surroundings, such as air resistance or friction.

2. How do you calculate average resistive force?

The formula for calculating average resistive force is F = m * (v2 - v1) / t, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v2 and v1 are the final and initial velocities, and t is the time taken for the object to travel between those velocities.

3. What are some common units of measurement for resistive force?

The most common units of measurement for resistive force are Newtons (N) and pounds (lbs). However, other units such as dynes, kilograms, and grams can also be used.

4. How does the resistive force affect an object's motion?

The resistive force acts in the direction opposite to the object's motion, causing it to slow down or come to a stop. It can also change the direction of the object's motion, such as when friction causes an object to change its path.

5. How can we reduce resistive force?

There are several ways to reduce resistive force, such as using aerodynamic designs to reduce air resistance, lubricating surfaces to reduce friction, and using smoother surfaces to reduce drag. Additionally, reducing the speed or mass of an object can also decrease the resistive force acting on it.