Calculating the average resistive force exerted

In summary: That is something that needs to be included in the equation. In summary, the ride has a circular path with a radius of 20 meters, and the brakes are applied at the end of the path. The average resistive force between the start and end of the ride is .
JudgeA
1. Homework Statement
In a theme park ride, a cage containing passengers falls freely a distance of 30 m from A to B and travels in a circular arc of radius 20 m from B to C. Assume that friction is negligible between A and C. Brakes are applied at C after which the cage with its passengers travels 60 m along an upward sloping ramp and comes to rest at D. The track, together with relevant distances, is shown in the diagram. CD makes an angle of 20° with thehorizontal.
Screenshot_3.png

(iv) Calculate the average resistive force exerted by the brakes between C and D.

From previous questions I know
Velocity at C = 31.3 m/s²
I know the cage and passengers traveling between C and D has a mass of 620kg
I know the cage gained 1.25*10⁵J of gravitational potential energy between C and D

Homework Equations

v²=u²+2as
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I used v²=u²+2as to find an acceleration of 8 m/s² but didn't know how to proceed from there. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be very helpful thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about energy and work?

CWatters said:
What do you know about energy and work?
I know the cage gained 1.25*10⁵J of gravitational potential energy between C and D (just added that to the main question)

What is the total energy (PE+KE) at C and what is the total energy (PE+KE) at D?

JudgeA said:
I know the cage gained 1.25*10⁵J of gravitational potential energy between C and D (just added that to the main question)
What about the energy changes from start to finish of the ride?

Vector1962 said:
What is the total energy (PE+KE) at C and what is the total energy (PE+KE) at D?

Kinda confused, so do I do 1/2mv² to find the kinetic and then mgh for potential?

JudgeA said:
Kinda confused, so do I do 1/2mv² to find the kinetic and then mgh for potential?
Yes.

JudgeA said:

The ride starts with PE which is converted to KE on the way down to point C. Some of that KE is then converted back to PE on the way up the ramp to point D. The remainder of the KE has to be absorbed by the braking system.

So far you haven't mentioned how to calculate the work done by the braking system.

What is resistive force?

Resistive force is the force that acts in the opposite direction to the motion of an object. It is caused by friction or drag and can slow down or stop the movement of an object.

Why is it important to calculate the average resistive force?

Calculating the average resistive force can help determine the overall resistance an object will face during its motion. This information is crucial in designing and engineering efficient and safe systems.

How is the average resistive force calculated?

The average resistive force is calculated by dividing the total resistive force by the distance traveled. Mathematically, it can be represented as Favg = Fr / d.

What are some factors that can affect the average resistive force?

The average resistive force can be affected by the surface area of the object, the material it is made of, the speed of the object, and the medium through which it is moving (e.g. air, water, etc.).

Can the average resistive force ever be zero?

In theory, it is possible for the average resistive force to be zero if there is no friction or drag acting on the object. However, in real-world scenarios, there will always be some level of resistive force present.