Finding Center of Mass of Thin Region in 1st Quadrant

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
MozAngeles
Messages
100
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Find the center of mass of a thin infinite refion in the first quadrant bounded by the coordinate axes and the curve y=e-2x, if ρ(density)= xy


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


I set M= ∫∫ xy dydx where y goes from 0 to y=e-2x, and x goes from 0 to infinity. I solved this and got 1/8

but when i try to calculate Mx and My the integration are impossible.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing the integral wrong, mate! What have you got so far?
I get [tex]\int_0^{e^{-2x}} y dy = \left[y^2/2\right]_0^{e^{-2x}} = e^{-4x}/2[/tex]
[tex]M = \int_0^\infty dx \int_0^{e^{-2x}} dy xy = \int_0^\infty dx x \int_0^{e^{-2x}} dy y = \int_0^\infty x e^{-4x}/2 = 1 / 32[/tex]
Now put one additional x or y, respectively into your integrand and do the calculation for Mx and My.