1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find the Center of Mass of a Lamina

1. Dec 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the x-coordinate of the center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region cut from the first quadrant by the lines x = 6 and y = 1 if the density function is p(x,y) = x + y + 1

2. Relevant equations

Mass = ∫∫spdσ
    X Coordinate of center of Mass = Myz/M
    Myz = ∫∫sxpdσ

3. The attempt at a solution

I am not sure how to set this one up, as I have not seen one like this without a bounding equation (ie x2 + y2 + z2 = a2 or similar.)

I attempted simply setting up the integral as being from 0≤x≤6 and 0≤y≤1 so M=∫∫x+y+1dydx = 27 and Myz = ∫∫x2 +xy +x dydx = 126

However, dividing 126 by 27 results in 14/3, not 11/3 as the answer theoretically should be.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The problem appears to be in your calculation of Myz. If you can't find the problem, please post your work here so it can be reviewed in detail.

4. Dec 5, 2014 #3

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your two formulas above are a bit confusing. You have a two-dimensional object, so the two moments are with respect to the x axis or the y axis.

The notation Myz is the moment about the y-z plane, which isn't applicable here because the object is two-dimensional.

The formula to use for the x-coordinate is My/M
    Here the boundaries are a lot simpler: the region is a rectangle, with x ranging between 0 and 6 and y ranging between 0 and 1.

5. Dec 5, 2014 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Yes, I agree. BTW, I get 11/3 for the x-coord. at CM.

Please show us your calculations for My.

6. Dec 5, 2014 #5
    I did end up finding my error, of course it was just a simple issue that I had missed. Thank you all!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted