1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding centripetal acceleration of a CD

1. Oct 1, 2012 #1
    1. A CD with a diameter of 12.0 cm starts from rest and with a constant angular acceleration of 1.0 rad/sec2 acquires an angular velocity of 5.0 rad/sec. The CD continues rotating at 5.0 rad/sec for 15.0 seconds and then slows to a stop in 12.0 second with a constant angular deceleration. What is the centripetal acceleration of a point 4.0 cm from the center at the time 10.0 seconds from the start?

2. I know constant angular acceleration equations ωf=ωi+αt
    Also centripetal acceleration= ω^2r

I really need some help with this, my professor did not explain this at all. I know radius 0.06m. ωi=5.0rad/sec. The answer to the solution is 1.0 m/s^2 but I'm not sure how to get there.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2012 #2
    You're given the angular velocity (5 rad/sec.) and the radius that the point revolves around (4 cm or .04 m). You just need to plug the values into the centripetal acceleration equation (a=ω2r)

4. Oct 1, 2012 #3

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

First correct your typo for the radius at the point in question, which is 0.04 m (.06 m is the radius of the disc).

Calculate the angular speed after 10 seconds, then plug it into the appropriate equation for centripetal acceleration. First you must answer: how long does it take reach its speed of 5 rad/sec? You've listed the relevant equations...now please show an attempt.

5. Oct 1, 2012 #4
    That makes total sense! I've been blown away for like 2 hours. lol thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook