Finding Centripetal Force in a Closed-Loop String

In summary: You need to find a way to integrate the force over the distance instead of dividing it by the distance.
dragonlorder

Homework Statement

I never thought I would have this kind of elementary problem
consider a string closed-loop spinning around an axis, and its shape is a circle, I wanted to find the centripital force at each point. (uniform density is assumed). I have problem expressing the mass

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply F=ma , and F=m f(angle), the acceleration is obviously a function of the angle. But how do I write the mass at a point of a continuous string. The formula F=m f(angle) works for 1000, or 10000 mass points spinning around an axis, since the mass is given for each mass point, but what about a string, its continuous. But if I write dm (differential form), it would distort the formula...

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a continuous string, you can pick a point on the loop and consider a piece of arc length ds at that point. Then if the mass of the loop is M and its radius R, the mass of your piece is

dm = Mds/2πR

Once you have this, the centripetal force on that element is

dF = dm ω2r

where ω is he instantaneous angular speed and r the distance of your element of mass dm to the axis of rotation.

Is this what you had in mind?

kuruman said:
If you have a continuous string, you can pick a point on the loop and consider a piece of arc length ds at that point. Then if the mass of the loop is M and its radius R, the mass of your piece is

dm = Mds/2πR

Once you have this, the centripetal force on that element is

dF = dm ω2r

where ω is he instantaneous angular speed and r the distance of your element of mass dm to the axis of rotation.

Is this what you had in mind?

yea, but I feel weird having to integrate dF. The formula works for finite masses, but as the number goes infinite, it fails. But the formula for continuous rope should have the form similar to that of finite. that's why I feel weird to integrate dF.

dragonlorder said:
yea, but I feel weird having to integrate dF.

Why do you want to integrate? The question, as you posted it, asks for the force at each point, not the total force.
The formula works for finite masses, but as the number goes infinite, it fails.

If you do integrate, the mass will be a constant; you will integrate over [tex]ds[/tex].

tms said:
Why do you want to integrate? The question, as you posted it, asks for the force at each point, not the total force.

If you do integrate, the mass will be a constant; you will integrate over [tex]ds[/tex].

thats exactly the problem I am having. how to modify that formula for the continuous situation

dragonlorder said:
thats exactly the problem I am having. how to modify that formula for the continuous situation

You have already been given the main part of the answer.

Related to Finding Centripetal Force in a Closed-Loop String

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object in circular motion, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.

2. How do you find centripetal force in a closed-loop string?

To find the centripetal force in a closed-loop string, you can use the formula F = (mv^2)/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle.

3. What factors affect the centripetal force in a closed-loop string?

The factors that affect the centripetal force in a closed-loop string include the mass of the object, the velocity of the object, and the radius of the circle. As these values increase, the centripetal force also increases.

4. How does the direction of the centripetal force relate to the motion of the object?

The centripetal force always acts towards the center of the circle, perpendicular to the direction of the object's motion. This force changes the direction of the velocity of the object, keeping it moving in a circular path.

5. Can you calculate centripetal force in a closed-loop string without knowing the velocity?

No, the formula for centripetal force includes the velocity of the object. Without knowing the velocity, you cannot accurately calculate the centripetal force.