Finding coefficient of kinetic friction for a sliding puck without mass

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 7K views
catapultum_habeo
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A hockey player hits a puck with her stick, giving the puck an initial speed of 5.0 m/s. If the puck slows uniformly and comes to rest in a distance of 20 m, what is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and the puck?

I know that this question must be rather easy, and that my mind has missed some logical leap in order to complete it.

Given the equation for kinetic friction (I can't format, so I'm not sure how to write this...)

f(sub k)=(mu)(normal force)

How can I solve for the coefficient (f sub k) without the mass? It seems that without the mass I am stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You have a force (friction) you need to find the acceleration. What happens when you equate your friction force to Newton's Third, F=ma?
 
Wonderful things happen.

I wonder why I didn't think of that. -blush-

Thank you!