1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding Coefficient of Kinetic Friction

1. Feb 5, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    See, I was collecting data for a lab, and now when I look it at, I'm being asked to find the kinetic friction force and the coefficient of friction. What I was given was:
    the mass of the block: .261 kg
    gravity: 9.81 m/s2
    the acceleration: -7.3125 m/s2
    And that's it. If it helps we were pushing blocks and used a motion detector to determine the rate of deceleration.
    2. Relevant equations
    μk*FN=Ff
    FN=m*g
    Fnet=m*a
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Let's say I start with the normal force, which I get 9.81m/s2*.261kg=2.5604N
    From there I can't see any more steps I can take. The only forces acting on the object are the friction force, the applied force, which was not measured, gravity, and the normal force. Given the equation and with the task of finding two unknowns, I'm clueless on how to continue.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2015 #2

Nathanael

Homework Helper

So if I understand correctly, you were pushing blocks and then letting go and measuring the deceleration? So the deceleration is measured after you stop pushing on the block?

4. Feb 6, 2015 #3
    So, comparison of the force deemed to be retarding the block, and the force of the block on the surface will reveal the friction co-efficient?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted