Finding Combinations with Replacement: k from n

In summary, if you make n selections from a set of k objects with replacement, there are (k+n-1)Cn possible combinations.
ghotra
Suppose I pick two number from {0,1,2} without replacement and suppose I keep track of which one was drawn first. This is a permutation question.
There are 3!/(3-2)! = 6 possible permutations:

(0,1)
(0,2)
(1,0)
(1,2)
(2,0)
(2,1)

Of course, if I only care which numbers were choosen, then I care about combinations.
THere are 3!/(3-2)!/2! = 3 possible combinations.

(0,1)
(0,2)
(1,2)

All very basic...
Now, I ask the same question with replacement. Now, the drawings are independent. 3^2 = 9

(0,0)
(0,1)
(0,2)
(1,0)
(1,1)
(1,2)
(2,0)
(2,1)
(2,2)

Suppose I don't care about permutations. That is to say, I just want to know what numbers were picked with replacement.

(0,0)
(0,1)
(0,2)
(1,1)
(1,2)
(2,2)

Now there are only six combinations possible. How do I get this number? The same thing in terms of head/tails:

4 possibilities when we care about order, but only 3 when we do not since 01 is 10. I know this must be very simple, but I don't know the formula. I am asking: If I flip a coin twice, what is the number of "unique" outcomes. It is easy with a coin...the number is always associated with the total number of possible heads (or tails)...which is always 0 to n. But how do I do this in general if there are more choices.

If I draw k items from a set of n items with replacement, then how many different combinations (not permutations) are possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you're looking for, but do you see what set of pairs is left if you remove all (x, x) from
ghotra said:
(0,0)
(0,1)
(0,2)
(1,1)
(1,2)
(2,2)
? Maybe you want nCk + n?

Removing all (x,x) does not work in the general case. Below is another example. Suppose I am base 3 and I make three selections with replacement. Then there are 3^3 possible sets. I list them below.

In this set, I want to remove any outcome that is a permutation of another outcome. For example, I do not want 212 and 122 and 221. These outcomes are merely permutations. So the final sets should be:

There are only 10 sets. I'm trying to deal with indistinguishable combinations. So, 001 is exactly the same as 100 and 010.

So how do I generate the number 10? I need a general formula.

nCk + n1 works for n = 3 and k = 2, right? Does it work for k = 2 and any n?

What changes when n = 3 and k = 3? Start with the combinations. You then want to add all (x, x, y) - x and y not necessarily distinct. x can take 3 values, and for each of those, y can take 3 values. Does that work?

Actually, sorry, perhaps I shouldn't have said anything because I don't know the answer. Someone else may already know and can offer more help.

Last edited:
Anyone?

I am looking for the number of combinations if I make n selections from k objects with replacements. Reptitions are acceptable, permutations are not important.

So, if I select from 2 times from the objects {0,1} these are the combinations I care about:

Notice, 10 is not present in this list as it is equivalent to 01.

Thanks again.

(k+n-1)!/(k-1)!n! that is (k+n-1)Cn
You can show this by putting the list in order x1, x2 ...xn and replacing each xi with xi+i-1. This gives a 1-1 correspondence between such lists and combinations of n choices from the set {1.. (k+n-1)}

That's it! And that is a very well-known result too. For some reason, I had convinced myself that it had to be different from that.

Thanks.

1. What is the concept of "Finding Combinations with Replacement: k from n"?

"Finding Combinations with Replacement: k from n" is a statistical concept that involves selecting k objects from a set of n objects, with the possibility of selecting the same object more than once. This is known as "with replacement" because each time an object is selected, it is replaced before the next selection is made.

2. How is this concept different from "Finding Combinations without Replacement"?

The main difference is that "Finding Combinations with Replacement" allows for the same object to be selected more than once, while "Finding Combinations without Replacement" does not. This means that in "Finding Combinations with Replacement", the total number of possible combinations is larger than in "Finding Combinations without Replacement".

3. What is the formula for calculating the number of combinations with replacement for k from n objects?

The formula for calculating the number of combinations with replacement for k from n objects is (n+k-1) choose k, which can be written as (n+k-1)Ck. This formula takes into account the fact that the same object can be selected multiple times, and is used to calculate the total number of possible combinations.

4. How can "Finding Combinations with Replacement" be applied in real life?

"Finding Combinations with Replacement" can be applied in various fields such as statistics, biology, and computer science. For example, in genetics, this concept can be used to calculate the number of possible genetic combinations in offspring based on the parents' genes. In computer science, it can be used in algorithms for generating random numbers or selecting items from a set.

5. Are there any limitations to "Finding Combinations with Replacement"?

One limitation is that it assumes that all objects in the set are equally likely to be selected, which may not always be the case in real life. Additionally, as the number of objects and selections increases, the number of possible combinations also increases exponentially, making it difficult to calculate manually for larger numbers. In these cases, technology such as calculators or computers can be used to perform the calculations.