Finding distance traveled....? Mechanics questions

In summary: No, I don't have any prior knowledge of calculus, and I'm not sure how to integrate a function of a single variable.
ztalira

Homework Statement

A point mass,m, is constrained to move in one-dimension and is acted on buy a force that depends on time in the following way:
F[x](t)=ƒ[o]+αt+βt^2
where ƒo,α, and β are constants . In terms of the quantities given, answer the following:
If the object starts off at rest at t=0, find its velocity at a later time, t[f]
Find the distance the mass has traveled from t=0 to t=t[f]

Homework Equations

v=at
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I found the velocity at t[f] by, having
a=F/m then
v=(F/m)t
and for t[f]
v[f]=((ƒ[o]+αt[f]+βt[f]^2)/(m))*t[f]but from there, I'm kinda stuck.
I know that the distance must be the integral of the velocity, but, with velocity changing, how can I find the integral?
Or is there perhaps another way?

Physics news on Phys.org
ztalira said:

Homework Statement

A point mass,m, is constrained to move in one-dimension and is acted on buy a force that depends on time in the following way:
F[x](t)=ƒ[o]+αt+βt^2
where ƒo,α, and β are constants . In terms of the quantities given, answer the following:
If the object starts off at rest at t=0, find its velocity at a later time, t[f]
Find the distance the mass has traveled from t=0 to t=t[f]

Homework Equations

v=at
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I found the velocity at t[f] by, having
a=F/m then
v=(F/m)t
and for t[f]
v[f]=((ƒ[o]+αt[f]+βt[f]^2)/(m))*t[f]but from there, I'm kinda stuck.
I know that the distance must be the integral of the velocity, but, with velocity changing, how can I find the integral?
Or is there perhaps another way?
You're partially correct.
v = at only when a = constant. Is a = constant here?

SteamKing said:
You're partially correct.
v = at only when a = constant. Is a = constant here?

a is not a constant, meaning my answer of v[f] is wrong. I could find dv/dt for t[f], but that would only give me the acceleration at that time. How could I find, then, the final velocity at t[f]?

ztalira said:
a is not a constant, meaning my answer of v[f] is wrong. I could find dv/dt for t[f], but that would only give me the acceleration at that time. How could I find, then, the final velocity at t[f]?
Since a = dv / dt, you'll have to integrate acceleration to find velocity.

SteamKing said:
Since a = dv / dt, you'll have to integrate acceleration to find velocity.
ok. so,
Fx(0)=f[o]
Fx=ma
a=f[o]/m (let this be the first acceleration, or a[1])
and for t=t[f]
Fx(tf)=f[o]+αt[f]+βt[f]^2
Fx=ma
a=(f[o]+αt[f]+βt[f]^2)/m (let this be acceleration #2, or a[2])
Δa=a[2]-a[1]
Δa=(1/m)(αt[f]+βt[f]^2)
So, I integrate Δa with respect to t?
but, the boundaries for the integral would be (0.t[f])?
I'm confused with how to integrate this, or how to evaluate t[f] (either as a value or variable)?

ztalira said:
ok. so,
Fx(0)=f[o]
Fx=ma
a=f[o]/m (let this be the first acceleration, or a[1])
and for t=t[f]
Fx(tf)=f[o]+αt[f]+βt[f]^2
Fx=ma
a=(f[o]+αt[f]+βt[f]^2)/m (let this be acceleration #2, or a[2])
Δa=a[2]-a[1]
Δa=(1/m)(αt[f]+βt[f]^2)
So, I integrate Δa with respect to t?
but, the boundaries for the integral would be (0.t[f])?
I'm confused with how to integrate this, or how to evaluate t[f] (either as a value or variable)?
Have you studied calculus any? Do you know how to integrate a function of a single variable?

What is the equation for finding distance traveled in mechanics?

The equation for finding distance traveled in mechanics is d = v * t, where d is the distance traveled, v is the velocity, and t is the time.

How do you calculate distance traveled when velocity is changing?

To calculate distance traveled when velocity is changing, you can use the average velocity formula, v = (v1 + v2) / 2, where v1 and v2 are the initial and final velocities, respectively. Then, plug this average velocity into the distance formula, d = v * t, to find the total distance traveled.

What is the difference between displacement and distance?

Displacement is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position of an object in a specific direction, while distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total path length traveled by an object. Displacement takes into account the direction of movement, while distance does not.

Can you find the distance traveled if only given the acceleration?

No, you cannot find the distance traveled with only the acceleration. You also need to know the initial velocity and time to calculate distance traveled using the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at2, where v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

Is it possible for an object to have a negative distance traveled?

Yes, it is possible for an object to have a negative distance traveled. This occurs when the object is moving in the opposite direction of the reference point or starting position. In this case, the displacement would be negative, but the distance traveled would be positive.