Finding energy eigenvalue of a harmonic oscillator using a Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation was about finding the energy eigenvalue for a Hamiltonian involving a 2D harmonic oscillator. The participants discussed different methods for solving the problem, including using differential equations and exploiting existing solutions. They also questioned the validity of a proposed wavefunction and considered the degeneracy of the first excited state. The final conclusion was that the degeneracy for this state is equal to 1 and the corresponding wavefunction is a product of two 1D harmonic oscillator wavefunctions.
JordanGo

Homework Statement

Find the energy eigenvalue.

Homework Equations

H = (p^2)/2m + 1/2m(w^2)(x^2) + λ(x^2)

Hψ=Eψ

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is what I got so far:

((-h/2m)(∂^2/∂x^2)+(m(w^2)/2 - λ)(x^2))ψ=Eψ

I'm not sure if I should solve this using a differential equation method, or is there an easier trick?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure if I should solve this using a differential equation method, or is there an easier trick?
... you should solve using the DE methods.

Since the potential is in x only, the partials become exact[1]:
$$\left ( \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{d^2}{dx^2} + \zeta x^2 - E \right )\psi(x) = 0 : 2\zeta = m\omega^2+2\lambda$$... and it is really useful for these things to learn to use ##\LaTeX## :)

Note: You had:
((-h/2m)(∂^2/∂x^2)+(m(w^2)/2 - λ)(x^2))ψ=Eψ
I don't know why you didn't square your ##\hbar## or why you have a ##-\lambda## in there but the setup has a ##+\lambda##.
Also, I'm guessing by "##h##" you meant ##\hbar=h/2\pi## since the momentum operator is ##-i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x}##.

----------------------

[1] if you are expected to do this in 3D, then you'll have to deal with the other two directions.

Last edited:
Ok, so now I tried to perform the differential equation, but then I get an equation in the form of:

Ψ=Ae(ς-E)x+Be(-(ς-E)x)

How can I find the energy eigenvalue from this equation?

You put it into the Schrodinger equation and solve for E.

But I am not sure that wavefunction is a solution... don't you associate Gaussians with harmonic oscillator potentials?

We haven't done any sort of Gaussian...

But I came up with another way to solve, can you see if this makes sense:

I can write the Hamiltonian as:

[itex] H =\frac{p^2}{2m} + x^2 (\frac{m\varpi^2}{2} + \frac{\lambda}{\sqrt{2}}) [/itex]

or

[itex] H = \frac{p^2}{2m} + \frac{mω'^2x^2}{2} [/itex]

where

[itex] ω'=\sqrt{ω^2+\frac{\sqrt{2}λ}{m}} [/itex]

then I can use

[itex] E = (\hbar)ω'(n+\frac{1}{2}) [/itex]

Sure - you can exploit existing solutions. What what stopping you from writing ##m\omega^{\prime 2} = \zeta## before? (and using the same trick?)

Good point! I can also do it that way, I'll try it out.

This problem involves a 2D harmonic oscillator (which the Hamiltonian was for x). To find the degeneracy of the first excited state, can I state that since ωxy=ω, that n = nx + ny.

Then I can write ny=n - x, and set up the following sum:
[itex] \sum(n-n_{x}) = \frac{1}{2}n(n+1) [/itex]
where the sum is from nx=0 to n.

So, using the equation to solve for n=1 (first excited state), I get the degeneracy is equal to 1. Is this correct or am I missing something?

1. How do you determine the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator?

The energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator can be determined by using the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical representation of the system's total energy. The eigenvalues are the allowed energy levels of the system, and can be found by solving the corresponding Schrödinger equation.

2. What is the Hamiltonian operator and how is it used to find energy eigenvalues?

The Hamiltonian operator, denoted as H, is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a physical system. In the context of a harmonic oscillator, the Hamiltonian operator is used to find the allowed energy levels, or eigenvalues, of the system by solving the Schrödinger equation Hψ = Eψ, where ψ is the wave function and E is the energy eigenvalue.

3. Are there any assumptions made when finding the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator using the Hamiltonian?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when using the Hamiltonian to find the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator. These include assuming that the potential energy of the system is harmonic (proportional to the square of the displacement from equilibrium) and that the system is in a stationary state, meaning that the wave function does not change with time.

4. Can the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator be negative?

No, the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator must be positive. This is because the Hamiltonian operator represents the total energy of the system, and negative energy values are not physically meaningful in this context.

5. How are the energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator related to its quantized energy levels?

The energy eigenvalues of a harmonic oscillator correspond to the quantized energy levels of the system. This means that the energy of the system can only take on discrete values, rather than continuous ones. As the energy eigenvalues increase, the energy levels become more closely spaced, representing the increasing energy of the system.