Finding equilibria and phase plane for dx/dt = y, dy/dt = -y² - sin(x)

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
MrBioMedic
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone I am hoping to get a little with a system.

Here is the the system:

dx = y
dt

dy = -y^2 - sin(x)
dt

I need to find all the equilibira and determine whether they are sinks, sources, etc...

I need to sketch the x and y nullclines.

Indicate the direction of the solution curve in any regions bounded by the nullcines.

Lastly, sketch the entire phase plane.



Thank you for the help in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done so far?
 
An "equilibrium" point is where the function is a constant: you must have
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= y= 0[/tex]
and
[tex]/frac{dy}{dt}= -y^2- sin9x)= 0[/tex].

What does that tell you?
 
Last edited by a moderator: