Finding fixed known %'s of total when total % known

• MHB
  • Thread starter vitamin1
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation discusses how to figure out the equation for determining the portions of 6% and 6.5% tax rates for a given total tax due. It is mentioned that if the individual tax rates are known, it is straightforward to calculate, but if they are unknown, it is impossible. Some examples are provided to illustrate the calculation process.
vitamin1
Hi,

I am trying to figure out the equation of the following so that I can make a formula in a spread sheet.

There are two tax rates... 6.5% and 6% equaling 100% of total tax due for a sale (sale amounts vary).

If I am only given the TOTAL (100%) tax due, in this case \$125, how can I work backwards and know what portion of the \$125 is 6% and what portion is 6.5%?

i.e.
  • \$1000 = total sale
  • 6% = 60
  • 6.5% = 65
  • 100% of total tax due = \$125
  • I am only given total sale and total tax due. How can I work backwards from the two known and get \$60 and \$65?

Hope that makes sense! Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi vitamin and welcome to MHB! :D

If you know the individual tax rates that are applied, it's straightforward (you did it yourself above). If you don't know the individual tax rates that were applied it's impossible.

By the way, preceding dollar signs with a '\' allows your post to render correctly - dollar signs have a special meaning here - they are used for typesetting math (latex).

greg1313 said:
Hi vitamin and welcome to MHB! :D

If you know the individual tax rates that are applied, it's straightforward (you did it yourself above). If you don't know the individual tax rates that were applied it's impossible.

By the way, preceding dollar signs with a '\' allows your post to render correctly - dollar signs have a special meaning here - they are used for typesetting math (latex).

Thanks for the dollar sign tip.

I guess I'm just not getting it.

Tell me how you figure the following out equation wise:

Total tax is \$150.
What portion is 6% and what portion is 6.5% ?

Let $T$ be the total sale amount (the amount of the sale before taxes).

\(\displaystyle 0.125T=150\implies T=1200\)

\(\displaystyle 0.06\times1200=72\)

\(\displaystyle 0.065\times1200=78\)

Does that help?

greg1313 said:
Let $T$ be the total sale amount (the amount of the sale before taxes).

\(\displaystyle 0.125T=150\implies T=1200\)

\(\displaystyle 0.06\times1200=72\)

\(\displaystyle 0.065\times1200=78\)

Does that help?

That did help...thanks!

I also saw another example that helped as follows:

12.5% = 150
so
6% = 150 / 12.5 * 6 = 72
6.5% = 150 / 12.5 * 6.5 = 78

What is meant by "Finding fixed known %'s of total when total % known"?

This refers to the process of determining the specific percentage of a total value when only the total percentage is known.

Why is it important to find fixed known percentages of a total?

Knowing the fixed percentages of a total can provide valuable information for analysis and decision-making. It can also help in understanding the distribution and composition of the total value.

What are some common applications of finding fixed known percentages of a total?

Some common applications include budgeting, market research, and statistical analysis.

What are the steps involved in finding fixed known percentages of a total?

The first step is to determine the total value and the total percentage. Then, multiply the total value by the total percentage to get the fixed value. This fixed value represents the known percentage of the total.

What are some tips for accurately finding fixed known percentages of a total?

It is important to double-check the calculations and make sure all values are accurate. It is also helpful to clearly label and organize the data to avoid confusion. Additionally, utilizing a calculator or spreadsheet can minimize errors.