Solving Math Problem with Crates: A Maximum Dividers Challenge

In summary, the person is asking for help with a math problem and has graphed three equations to see if any of them are optimal. However, when they change the specifications, all three graphs intersect at a certain value, which is not optimal.
bamia
Hello everyone,

I hope I'm not intruding with too simple of a request for help.

I have this math problem:

A rack space with 100 slots for plastic crates. I have two type of crates, one with 20 dividers weighing 5 grams and one with 60 dividers weighing 25 grams. I want to add crates to achieve the largest number of dividers while not exceeding 1000 grams.

so here I go:
n= # of 20 divider crate weighing 5 grams
m= # of 60 divider crate weighing 25 grams
w <= 1000 grams (Weight can't exceed 1000 grams)
n+m = 100 (total number of crates)
m=100-n
5n+25m=w (weight of the crate dividers)
5n+2500-25n=w
2500-20n=w
And then I'm stuck.

I can work out the solution by writing code to fill the rack with the 20 divider crates with a total of 500 grams and then replace one crate at time with a 60 divider one while testing for max total weight and total number of dividers and I get a result of 75n and 25m for a total dividers of 3000 weighing 1000 grams.
I can prove the same logic to work by changing the numbers a bit; for example with the second crate weighing 25 grams but having only 10 dividers instead of 60 I get 100n and 0m with a total weight of 500 grams.

Now are there equations to do this?

Thanks a lot

MOD EDIT: added some commentary in blue and moved from a technical forum, hence no template.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
You need one more equation: ## N=20n+60m ##. Suggestion: Try graphing all of your equations on a graph of ## m ## vs. ## n ##, and take the equation for ## N ## for fixed ## N ## and find the best selection on the graph by varying ## N ##.

Likes bamia
Following your analysis, when you get to 2500-20n=w then you can remember the earlier line w <= 1000
to give you 2500 - 20n <= 1000 or 1500 <= 20n so 75 <= n

The other constraint that you haven't used yet, is maximising the number of divisions.
You can write a formula for that, but since it's fairly obvious you want the maximum number of 60 boxes, then you want minimum 20 boxes , ie minimum n.
Then the smallest n greater than or equal to 75, is 75 itself.

Likes bamia and Charles Link
The graphs of ## m \leq -n+100 ##, along with ## m \leq -n/5+40 ##, and ## m=-n/3 +N/60 ##, as mentioned in post 2, show the solution very readily, but some algebra, (solving the first two equations to find where the two lines intersect), gets the very same answer. The graphic solution, IMO, shows how ## N ## is maximized, subject to the two initial constraints, most clearly.

Last edited:
Likes bamia
Merry Christmas and happy new year.

So I got back to working on this and graphed the three equations which work for the numbers in the first post but if I change the specifications then the equations fail.

n= # of 20 divider crate weighing 5 grams
m= # of 10 divider crate weighing 25 grams [That got changed to fewer dividers]
w <= 1000 grams (Weight can't exceed 1000 grams)

x<=100-y
x<=-y/5+40
x=-2y+N/10

The three graphs intersect at m=25,n=75,N=1750 which is not optimal use of the rack. m=0,n=100,N=2000 is optimal.

This is not home work, it was last Christmas puzzle that I read and liked to solve but unfortunately got too busy and left it all this time.

So my objective is to find an algorithm that works for all cases, obviously. As I mentioned in the first post I can do this very easily in code, in a loop, testing for different conditions to get the best result.
But I would like to know if this could be done mathematically and how. Which math should I be re-learning to solve the three equations.
Thanks

Likes Delta2
In this linear programming, you always need to check the endpoints at the limits of the graphs. I'm pretty sure that's what is happening here, without studying it in great detail.

Likes SammyS and bamia

1. How does the maximum dividers challenge work?

The maximum dividers challenge involves using a set number of crates to create the maximum number of equal-sized groups. The goal is to divide the crates into as many groups as possible, with each group having the same number of crates.

2. What is the purpose of this challenge?

The purpose of this challenge is to improve problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities. It also helps in understanding the concept of division and finding the maximum number of equal groups.

3. What is the best strategy for solving this challenge?

The best strategy for solving this challenge is to start by finding the factors of the total number of crates. Then, try to create equal groups using these factors. If there are any remaining crates, try to distribute them equally among the groups.

4. Is there a limit to the number of crates that can be used in this challenge?

No, there is no limit to the number of crates that can be used in this challenge. However, the larger the number of crates, the more challenging the problem becomes.

5. How can this challenge be applied in real-life situations?

This challenge can be applied in various real-life situations, such as dividing resources or materials equally among a group of people, organizing items into equal-sized groups, or even in budgeting and financial planning.