Finding height and area of trapezoid from its legs and bases

In summary, to find the height of a trapezoid, use the formula h = (b1 + b2) / (2 * a), where b1 and b2 are the lengths of the parallel bases and a is the length of the leg connecting them. To find the area, use the formula A = (b1 + b2) * h / 2. When labeling the sides, make sure to use the correct base and leg for each measurement in the formulas. If one base is unknown, use the formula b2 = (2 * a * h) - b1 to find its length. If only one leg is known, use the formula h = (2 * A) / (b1 +
ISamson
Gold Member
Hello.
I am wondering how I can find the area of a trapezoid from its two legs and bases.
My problem:
ABCD is a trapezium with AB parallel to CD such that AB = 5, BC = 3, CD = 10 and AD = 4. What is the area of ABCD?
If we trace a straight line from A down parallel to the height of the trapezium, we get a right - angle triangle. From this triangle we can find the height by calculating the cosine of ∠ADC, then find the area by the Area of Trapezium formula. This should solve the problem, right?
Sources:
http://www.analyzemath.com/Geometry/trapezoid_solve.html
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/maths/geometry/furthertrigonometryhirev2.shtml
https://www.mathsisfun.com/sine-cosine-tangent.html

I am a high school student. Unfortunately, still did not learn anything about cos, sin and tan, but I would like to know if I am on the right path with this problem.

Thank you.
EDIT: and also, do I have to solve this using cos and trigonometry, or can I use another method if it is more simple?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved the thread to our homework section.
ISamson said:
From this triangle we can find the height by calculating the cosine of ∠ADC
You only know two sides of the triangle ADC. How would you find the height?

It is possible to solve this problem without trigonometry, but there is a trick you have to find.

Likes ISamson
mfb said:
You only know two sides of the triangle ADC.
The hypothenuse - I know.
I also know all of the DC segment, however I am not sure what the DC-base side of the triangle is exactly. Do I?

mfb said:
but there is a trick you have to find.
So, I can find a trick (is it not too hard? :)

ISamson said:
however I am not sure what the DC-base side of the triangle is exactly. Do I?
That is difficult to figure out directly.

Did you draw a sketch?
ISamson said:
So, I can find a trick (is it not too hard? :)
I don't think it is hard, but that is subjective.
Think of how the trapezoid changes if you change both AB and CD by the same amount. What changes, what stays the same?

mfb said:
Spoiler
The area changes, the length of the AB and CD changes, the length of the legs does not change, the height does not change, all the angles do not change.

Yes, I thought about it for a long time, and drew a sketch.
20180805_152149.jpg

Attachments

• 20180805_152149.jpg
    20180805_152149.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 620
I don't know what b1 and b2 are, but the angle is not 45 degrees.
The formula you use for the angle only works if you use a rectangular triangle, and the cosine of something cannot be 10/4 which is larger than 1.
ISamson said:
The area changes, the length of the AB and CD changes, the length of the legs does not change, the height does not change, all the angles do not change.
Good. If you want to find the height or angles you can change both lengths together. Do you find a change that makes the diagram much simpler to study?

ISamson said:
The hypothenuse - I know.
∆ACD is not a right-angled triangle.

ISamson said:
I am a high school student. Unfortunately, still did not learn anything about cos, sin and tan, but I would like to know if I am on the right path with this problem.

Thank you.
EDIT: and also, do I have to solve this using cos and trigonometry, or can I use another method if it is more simple?
You certainly learned some famous law concerning right triangles. And you can draw two of them, with equal heights.

upload_2018-8-5_18-11-30.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-5_18-11-30.png
    upload_2018-8-5_18-11-30.png
    696 bytes · Views: 590
Likes ISamson
Have you done the question?

Elbraido said:
Have you done the question?
Yes. Why?
20180807_215646.jpg

Can you see that?

Attachments

• 20180807_215646.jpg
    20180807_215646.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 860
ISamson said:
Yes. Why?
View attachment 228941
Can you see that?
I can see. I just didnt know whether you did an you were stuck. Good Job
E

Likes ISamson
Elbraido said:
I can see. I just didnt know whether you did an you were stuck. Good Job
E
Thanks

Here is how I would have solved it: Draw a parallel to BC going through A. It crosses CD at point E. We know ED=AB=5, therefore DE=DC-EC=5. That's basically the idea "make the trapezoid 5 shorter" I was hinting at.
The triangle DAB has side lengths DA=4, AE=3, ED=5. It is a right triangle with the right angle at A. This is "by accident", but I think it has been done deliberately. We can express its area in two different ways: 1/2 (DA)(AE) = 1/2 (ED) h. Therefore, h=(DA)(AE)/(ED) = 4*3/5 = 12/5.
This leads to the total area A=12/5 (10+5)/2 = 18.

1. How do I find the height of a trapezoid from its legs and bases?

To find the height of a trapezoid, you can use the formula h = (b1 + b2) / (2 * a), where b1 and b2 are the lengths of the parallel bases and a is the length of the leg connecting them. Simply plug in the values of b1, b2, and a to calculate the height.

2. Can I find the area of a trapezoid if I only know the lengths of its legs and bases?

Yes, you can find the area of a trapezoid using the formula A = (b1 + b2) * h / 2, where b1 and b2 are the lengths of the parallel bases and h is the height. Make sure to use the same unit of measurement for all values.

3. How do I label the sides of a trapezoid when finding its height and area?

In a trapezoid, the parallel sides are called the bases and the non-parallel sides are called the legs. When labeling the sides, make sure to use the correct base and leg for each measurement in the formulas.

4. What if I don't know the length of one of the bases?

If only one of the bases is unknown, you can use the formula b2 = (2 * a * h) - b1, where b2 is the length of the unknown base, b1 is the length of the known base, a is the length of the leg, and h is the height. Simply plug in the known values to find the unknown base length.

5. Can I find the height and area of a trapezoid if I only know the length of one of its legs?

Yes, you can still find the height and area of a trapezoid with just one leg length. Use the formula h = (2 * A) / (b1 + b2), where h is the height, A is the area, and b1 and b2 are the lengths of the parallel bases. Plug in the known values to calculate the height, then use the formula A = (b1 + b2) * h / 2 to find the area.